Medical retirement with 100% VA disability

Hello,

I was active duty for 6 years and have been a reservist for a little over a year. Got my disability claim submitted after i left active duty and received 100%. The reserves is now trying to medically retire me for PTSD. I am worried about what this will do to my VA benefits. Any insight is welcome as I try and work through this process.

Post updates, I think I may be getting boarded soon.

Also, you can elect the legacy system which shouldn't touch the VA, which is still not recommended. Or you can elect the IDES process and there's a specific part were you can request they only Evaluate you for DoD purposes. Afterwards if favorable you can submit the DBQs as supplements to the VA if you choose.

Post updates, I think I may be getting boarded soon.

Also, you can elect the legacy system which shouldn't touch the VA, which is still not recommended. Or you can elect the IDES process and there's a specific part were you can request they only Evaluate you for DoD purposes. Afterwards if favorable you can submit the DBQs as supplements to the VA if you choose.
Why wouldn't you recommend going with LDES?

LDES, is faster, but that means you give up some checks and balances.

From my understanding since you didn’t complete 20 years active service, you can’t get medical retirement pay and VA compensation at the same time(concurrent receipt) it offsets so you’ll have to choose. It’s wise to not have your 100 percent VA re evaluated. You can apply for CRSC however and I believe the highest rating for CRSC is 100 % and that reflects the same amount 100% percent VA.

***CRSC can get tricky however because being medically retired and 100% VA does not mean that’s an automatic proof as evidence of a stressor that combat caused your PTSD. It’s a big difference between Combat-PTSD and “PTSD”. If your PTSD is not combat related you’ll be denied***

Although I’m not sure about how the exact calculations work regarding CRSC estimates depending on time of service and medical retirement pay amount. Senator John Tester are other advocates and proponents are pushing Congress to pass the Major Richard Star Act to eliminate this offset so medical retirees can qualify for concurrent receipt. You may also qualify for Social Security Disability.

Congratulations on your medical retirement.

Last edited:
Most disability retirees end up with the longevity portion of their retirement pay as the payable CRSC.

See the many computations on this board.

Ron

From my understanding since you didn’t complete 20 years active service, you can’t get medical retirement pay and VA compensation at the same time(concurrent receipt) it offsets so you’ll have to choose. It’s wise to not have your 100 percent VA re evaluated. You can apply for CRSC however and I believe the highest rating for CRSC is 100 % and that reflects the same amount 100% percent VA.

***CRSC can get tricky however because being medically retired and 100% VA does not mean that’s an automatic proof as evidence of a stressor that combat caused your PTSD. It’s a big difference between Combat-PTSD and “PTSD”. If your PTSD is not combat related you’ll be denied***

Although I’m not sure about how the exact calculations work regarding CRSC estimates depending on time of service and medical retirement pay amount. Senator John Tester are other advocates and proponents are pushing Congress to pass the Major Richard Star Act to eliminate this offset so medical retirees can qualify for concurrent receipt. You may also qualify for Social Security Disability.

Congratulations on your medical retirement.
Thank you for commenting. I do not want to poke the bear with the VA. PTSD is related to combat so I could potentially get awarded CRSC. Actions were documented in a medal so that should help. It would help so many veterans if the Richard Star Act passed.