My CRSC Timeline.

Sir- thanks- you confirmed what I needed to know, I appreciate it. This is some tricky math for sure. Appreciate the help!

Hello Redbeard731,

I do not compute retroactive CRSC; there are too many variables, especially with Chapter 61 retirees.

I can offer that based on the info that the first CRSC payment you received was $322, it appears you are receiving the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement pay as CRSC. The amount compared to the approved percentages suggests a relatively short period of active duty. This is conjecture on my part.

If I am correct, you could get a rough estimate of your retro CRSC by multiplying the total number of months involved x $322.

CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees with less than 20 years active duty is generally the lesser of
—longevity portion of the retirement pay
Or
—the rate for the CRSC percentage found in the VA compensation tables

Residual (left over) retired pay from the VA offset will reduce the amount of CRSC (and could be a reason for the amount of CRSC you received).

Good luck,
Ron

Be prepared to wait a very long time for your back pay DFAS is slow as hell!!! I just called back again today my audit was complete July 17th now I'm still waiting for signatures to get paid and now they tell me it could be another 60 days so if that's the case I'll be at 8 months waiting for my xxxx money DFAS is a joke and the people working for them !!!!

16JUN17 - HRC received my packet.
16JUN18 - HRC approved my packet.
20JUN18 - I received my approval letter by mail. DFAS received my packet the same day.
20JUL18 - CRSC packet populated in my HRC records.
25JUL18 - CRSC LES hit MYPAY account.
01AUG18 - Received my first monthly CRSC payment.
03AUG18 - Received my 16 months of CRSC backpay.

Hope this answers some questions for Soldiers still in the process.
Was your packet straight forward, same effective date for any/all disabilities that were approved. All of mine have the same effective date and I received approval letter within 2 weeks of emailing CRSC packet to HRC. DFAS does have the approval letter dated Sep 10th 2019.

I got my letter Sep 5th, Called DFAS a week later. Told me it would take 45 days to establish the account and 90 Days for back pay(not holding my breath)

1 March 2019- CRSC Approved
1 May 2019- First payment

Found out that the audit did not start until this past September. Which means it would be 90-120 days from there. Seems like there has been a huge volume increase in CRSC approvals the last few years which could be why the avg waiting period for the retro is longer now. Might not get mine till around January it seems. It’s unfortunately frustrating.

Ask for VA Retro Pay when you first talk to someone, and they will tell you where you are in the process. I received my backpay after 5 months of waiting, and my case was sent through audit twice.
When did you get your backpay Jumpmaster2015? I was told my backpay Was in the final stages of audit

Re: "When did you get your back pay Jumpmaster2015? I was told my backpay Was in the final stages of audit "

If someone thinks to ask about it, I would be interested in learning of the various "stages' of the CRSC audit.

Regards,
Ron

Update::: RETRO PAY

I have a pay statement dated 11/14/19 with a pay date 11/19/19

Approved 9/11/19
First payment 11/1/19
Audit began 10/6/19

Effective date of Disabilities 12/17

I spoke with DFAS today they said mine is in review, so I take it the audit is complete and they are getting signatures.

Congrats!!

Update from Nov 7th Post:

Was approved back in March and first payment began in May 2019. Called back last week on what is going on with the Retro and they said the Audit started on Oct 24 though when i called last month, DFAS said it started in September. Audit keeps getting pushed back or restarting. It may take at least 9 months on getting the retro (If it ever happens) since getting paid. Curious if anyone is on the same boat? The margin of error when it comes to the Audit process is Extremely high for this case and the transparency is very poor. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Hello,

Sorry to learn of your long wait. I have a question concerning, "The margin of error when it comes to the Audit process is Extremely high for this case and the transparency is very poor."

I understand what you meant about lack of transparency, but I am curious about the margin of error being extremely high. Would you mind elaborating on that particular issue?

Regards,
Ron

Hello,

Sorry to learn of your long wait. I have a question concerning, "The margin of error when it comes to the Audit process is Extremely high for this case and the transparency is very poor."

I understand what you meant about lack of transparency, but I am curious about the margin of error being extremely high. Would you mind elaborating on that particular issue?

Regards,
Ron
Hello Ron,

I was only saying that to say when the audit starts, it seems like it is more likely to start over during the process. So a mistake/error comes forth in my case. My VA was at 50% when i retired back in May 2017. However my VA rating was reduced to 30% this past October. So my my CRSC Back pay goes from May 2017 to May 2019 at 50%. I believe the VA reduction recently may had screwed up the process and I am hoping that they can back pay the right amount of 50% for that timeframe. Hope this info helps.

Hello johnescal27,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand your concern...

Since you mentioned certain percentages for CRSC and VA compensation, keep in mind that:
--CRSC cannot be more than the VA waiver/offset (i.e., the reduction of retired pay)

--CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay (e.g., Active duty years x 0.025 x average high 3 base pay = longevity portion of retired pay)

--CRSC when combined with any residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay

--CRSC is the lesser of the CRSC percentage amount approved by service or the longevity portion of retired pay. The amounts in the VA compensation tables are used for the CRSC percentage approved by service.

Good luck,
Ron

Thank you for the help. I would assume and hope the retro amount from May 2017-May 2019 to be the 24 months x 50% CRSC, which was $631 for 2019. Likely a bit less for 2018 and 2017. Which adds up a bit under 15k. My Wounded Warrior advisor told me that amount without me asking. Hoping he's right.

Thanks,
John

Thank you for the help. I would assume and hope the retro amount from May 2017-May 2019 to be the 24 months x 50% CRSC, which was $631 for 2019. Likely a bit less for 2018 and 2017. Which adds up a bit under 15k. My Wounded Warrior adviser told me that amount without me asking. Hoping he's right.

Thanks,
John
How many active duty years and months did you have? Example: Active duty: 9 years 4 months

Ron

He/she likely performed (or had access to) your longevity computation since $879.36 is the lowest 50% rate as of 1 December 2018.

That would cause a nice retro payment.

Ron