NMA Non-Medical Assessment

Hi all, I have been reccomended by a MEB for a IPEB. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar I disorder. I have gathered all of the records, completed the physicals, and the process is rolling. I am stuck on the NMA. My command is very supportive, but is having me write a rough draft. I have the example from the instruction, but have no idea where to start on the narrative. Does anyone have an example narrative they would share with me (sanitized of course). Thanks for your help.

-Matt

Here is mine:

Reply to:
Your location, Base, Command

MEMORANDUM FOR AFPC/DPPDS
RANDOLPH AFB TX 78150

SUBJECT: Commander's Statement on Major Pain, 123-45-6789

1. Maj Pain has a medical condition that does not affect his ability to perform normal
military duties. Maj Pain is a trash collector and his medical condition does not
restrict him from performing required tasks. Because of his current condition, it is my
opinion that he may not be deployable; however, he is more than able to perform normal
day-to-day duties required of his AFSC. He is currently working in his assigned AFSC.
Maj Pain is an excellent N/CO and is not pending administrative action or judicial/nonjudicial
punishment that could result in demotion or dismissal from the Air Force. He is motivated
to overcome the condition and continue as an active member of the Air Force. In my opinion,
the most optimal outcome for the member, the unit and the Air Force would be to return him
to duty.

2. If you have any questions you may contact me at DSN 555-1212 or email at
[email protected].

If I was a member at the PEB and I saw the NMA that Xeno provided - I would recommend FIT!

From experience the NMA weighs a lot at the PEB. I have seen debilitating cases that clearly should be UNFIT at least 50% or higher - but since the NMA was written as a fitrep or a bronze star write up the PEB came up with a FIT decision or even UNFIT at 0-20%!

So the question you need to ask - are you able to perform your duties as a service member in your rank/rate/MOS/NEC. If yes than the NMA that Xeno provided can work.

If you feel you are unable to perform your duties, than the NMA needs to be written in a UNFIT flavor. Here is an example:

"Prior to the diagnosis of PTSD, Sgt Jones* was one of my best performers, able to perform all duties tasked flawlessy without supervision. Upon return from the deployment and the diagnosis of PTSD he has been suffering debilitating psychiatic symptoms and relies heavily on numerous and powerful medication that make him tired, unable to concentrate appropriately, fails to complete tasks and he is a threat to the safety of his fellow Marines around him. He is required to spend 3 days a week in intense psychiatric therapy. Sgt Jones is not the same Marine that I remember. He is unstable and does not have the ability to be in the Marine Corps anymore. Please provide him a medical retirement with disability accordingly to enable the seamless transition into the VA."

*Fictional

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Lee

P.S. From a personal note - I think it is unfair that your command is "letting" you write your own NMA. This just goes to show the lack of understanding through out the services on how truly important the NMA is in the PEB process. Frankly most Commanding Officers don't know how to write one therefore they defer to you.

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I would wager that the more specific the better, as with any board it is not a good idea to leave any grey area. My CO has been onboard for less then 30 days, that may have something to do with me "providing input", but she did work with me post 9/11 in the sand. Would you reccomend the NMA cover only the month she has been onboard, or should she rely on input from the senior CoC? Again, thanks for the examples keep them coming.

I assumed you were looking for a fit finding, after rereading I'm unsure.

A slight change to the letter would make it unfit.

X

With the treatment, and diagnosis i have been told by everyone who has dealt with me that i will not be found fit, so I am really now just looking to make the transition out as smooth and fair as possible. I had to make a hard decision when I was diagnosed, the Doc even said he could write it up as a lesser diagnosis, but my health really has to come first. After all, i would hate to jeopordize anyone just so I can stay in.

From what I have seen a good NMA has the compare and contrast - especially important when seeking a UNFIT finding. And yes, the more specificity the better. If the CO wants an UNFIT finding they need to go all out with the "Doom and Gloom". I would recommend reviewing the criteria for what percentages the board can give based on the evidence. For a mental health issue, if a person is reliant on Meds and still not functional to rate/rank/MOS/NEC that should at least beg a 30% rating of UNFIT.

Below is an excerpt from the Navy DES manual SECNAVINST 1850.4E, 9000 series (Pages 247-251).
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-800%20Millitary%20Retirement%20Services%20and%20Support/1850.4E.pdf

"30 percent. Occupational and social impairment with occasional
decrease in work efficiency and intermittent period of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and
conversation normal), due to such symptoms as:
a. Depressed mood.
b. Anxiety .
c. Suspiciousness.
d. Panic attacks (weekly or less often).
e. Chronic sleep impairment.
f. Mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions,
recent events)."

Good Luck!​
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...y Retirement Services and Support/1850.4E.pdf

Lee,

Great advice. Thanks for the link! I will keep you all posted! If anyone one else has a narrative plese share. I will post mine in two versions, what i submited and the post chop. Lets hope they still look remotely alike.

-Matt

Lee,

I am not too familiar with how this forum works. Is there any way I could send you what I have drafted to you could take a look and provide some advice?

I tried to send it to you as a private message.... Not too sure if it worked, i am a rookie and heavily medicated..... Thanks again for your time and help. Once I get it smoothed I will post to the whole forum

Normally, I like the Commander to write how long he/she has observed you and how often (ex., "Petty Officer Smith has served under me for the past 6 months. I observe him (daily, weekly, etc.,) performing his duties as a (rate/MOS/AFSC as appropriate). In a case such as yours, you may want to include the earlier period of observed time IF during that time you were suffering of began to suffer difficulties. However, if you were not having problems back then, you could use that time to compare/contrast your current issues (as suggested by Lee). If there really is not a basis for observation, the CO might address it as "Though I have only been in command for the past month, in that time, I have personally observed x, y, and z. In addition, in discussing his duty performance with his supervisor/DIVO, CPO, who has worked with him daily for the past year, the following limitations were noted. He has difficulties performing (or cannot perform) (STATE THE SPECIFIC LIMITATION, especially as related to a duty function in your rate) due to problems with (STATE SPECIFIC SYMPTOM).

If you notice, it is a very fact specific letter.

A comment on the references to rating criteria in SECNAVINST 1850.4E (this goes for all services regulations). These regulations sometimes limit or otherwise interpret the criteria in the VASRD. This is legally impermissible and I would not quote or argue anything from a regulation other than the VASRD (which actually is a regulation of another sort, found in 38 Code of Federal Regulations). It is useful as a guide to predict what the PEB may rate, but in my opinion, the use of these service regulations have historically resulted in lower than appropriate ratings. In a perfect world, the PEBs would forget these regulations altogether and only address the ratings found in the VASRD. I think it is going to be a challenge to get the PEBs to forget their years of training in using these regulations to actually adjudicate cases. But (again this is all my opinion) the use of these regulations have traditionally resulted in lower than appropriate ratings for those going through a PEB.

Best of luck with your PEB.

Thank you Jason. The first chop went up the chain this morning. I think it looks prety good. Is there some way I could send it to you so that I can get your opinion? I really dont't know how this site works so you may have to guide me.

You have all been a big help, my Command is asking lots of questions about meds, appts, and the like. Some of these things i can't answer. Specifically about future appts, and anticipated time missed. I was told I would need intensive pyscho-therapy but the appts have not been made. Any adive on what they do and do not need to know

-Matt

Hi all. I am in the Navy and my LPO has my NMA. He recieved it 12 May 2009. Here it is 15 June 2009. Medical boards called me on 12 June 2009 and told me there is not a NMA for me. Who should I talk to about this. Should I go to my CO. I know my command has 15 working days to fill out the NMA and get it to Medical Boards and it has been about 25 working days. They can not do my medical discharge with out the NMA. I really need some help.

Well as per information always a medical or psychological consultants review is required for any claim involved in a medical decision.