Question about CO-ADOS orders and medical issues

yellow dog

PEB Forum Regular Member
Apologies for the length of this.

I'm a National Guardsman with 15 years of service, currently on title 10 CO-ADOS orders for an Army school and they end in June 2010. I have two medical issues I'm dealing with, a complex meniscal tear (actually almost the whole thing is missing at this point) with tri-compartamental osteo arthritis in one knee, and two herniated disc's in my cervical spine with cervical stenosis, cervical radiculopathy and it looks like some nerve damage in my right chest/arm/neck. I'm still being seen medically for these issues. It hasn't gotten to where I need to go to any type of board (and I'm hoping it won't), but I am going to need surgery. So I'm sitting in a medical hold status at the moment until these issues get resolved.

I just found out that the Army, Guard bureau, or whoever, is not extending CO-ADOS orders anymore, well at least not for this school, and that they are giving new orders for either state TDY or state PCS depending on how long from the end date of your CO-ADOS orders until your projected graduation date. 139 days is the magic cutoff number for this. I have no idea how long I'm going to be in the medical hold status, but I can guarantee that it is going to push my graduation date out past that 139 day mark for a state TDY order as the PAs I 've seen have told me that there is going to be some significant recovery time (still waiting to speak to the surgeons to get the real scoop).

So my question is, since I'm having medical issues, is this going to change the type of orders that I will be put on once my CO-ADOS orders run out? This is big as if I get thrown on PCS orders, I have to move out of contract housing, lose family sep, lose per-diem, get BAH for the duty station I'm at instead of my house, and have to move out of government contract housing and get my own place here.

Also, although I'm not wanting to got to any type of MMRB or MEB/PEB, there is a possibility of that happening. If this is the case, are the orders Guardsmen get put on PCS or TDY?

This may not pertain based on answers to the above, but I do have my civilian job waiting for me as well. If they do go the PCS orders route for the medical issue, is there a way I can deny taking those orders and still be seen by the Army doctors?

Thanks,
-Yellow Dog

Talk to your military doc about requesting transfer to the Warrior Transition Unit. You'll need your unit to assist you with putting together a packet, and information from your doc outlining your diagnosis, treatment plan, limitations, and prognosis.

WTU orders from Title 10 are PCS. You still get all of your pay and allowances. You will be assigned to a WTU under Title 10 and be treated. Once they have done all they can, they will determine whether you are fit to return to duty or if you need a board. If you need a board, they will board you. It's not optional. You don't get to decide. If they find you fit, they will REFRAD you back to your state.

Try to avoid letting your orders just run out without being put into the WTU. DO NOT let AD tell you "your state will take care of you." If you do end up being REFRAD back to your state, the process will be exponentially longer. Going to the WTU is volunatry. They can't make you. But when you return to your state, you'll still be boarded and will be required to obtain pre-authoriztion for every single appointment you need. It's FAR more complicated and I do not suggest going that route.

If you are not accepted into the WTU, be 100% sure that you do not come off your orders without completed and appoved LODs in the LOD module. Active component almost never does them, so you have to contact your home unit about getting them entered. Without those LOD's, you cannot get care authorized or be paid for loss of civilian earned income. Be sure that you obtain copies of every medical document you have at that AD MTF. Request a printout of all of your labs and AHLTA files (most states do not yet have AHLTA access).

Luck
SGT P