Residential psychiatric facilities that Tricare takes after I get out of the military?

Unfortunately I can no longer take care of myself or live independently and will need residential psychiatric treatment after I leave the military.

For reference, my med board lawyer says he expects me to be found unfit and be out of the military by May 2022. My case is now at the PEB.

I am planning now for after I get out, I know this has nothing to do with med boards but can anyone here suggest residential services six months or longer that take Tricare?

If it matters, my diagnosis is Major Depression. Some places will not take that diagnosis, others won’t take insurance.

Looking for any suggestions

Thank you

I commend you for planning ahead. You might want to call the toll free TriCare number and find a facility near you. You should also be eligible for VA services. I suggest you call your local Vet Center and get in care there (AD can use Vet Centers). They can help you plan on getting are through the VA.

Never be afraid to reach out on this website. None of the admins will censor any legitimate request by a member/Vet reaching out for help.

I commend you for planning ahead. You might want to call the toll free TriCare number and find a facility near you. You should also be eligible for VA services. I suggest you call your local Vet Center and get in care there (AD can use Vet Centers). They can help you plan on getting are through the VA.

Never be afraid to reach out on this website. None of the admins will censor any legitimate request by a member/Vet reaching out for help.
Thank you. Do you know if the VA offers residential treatment long-term?

Thank you. Do you know if the VA offers residential treatment long-term?
Yes they offer residential care. Vet Centers treat primarily PTSD and Sexual Trauma. But often PTSD is under diagnosed in the military and labeled as depression or adjustment disorder. So at least interview at Vet Center, but they may not take you as a patient depending on final diagnosis. But the VA will take you as a veteran in there non-community based menatal health programs.

Yes they offer residential care. Vet Centers treat primarily PTSD and Sexual Trauma. But often PTSD is under diagnosed in the military and labeled as depression or adjustment disorder. So at least interview at Vet Center, but they may not take you as a patient depending on final diagnosis. But the VA will take you as a veteran in there non-community based menatal health programs.
Thanks for the helpful info. I do have a diagnosis of PTSD but from a civilian psychiatrist, not anyone in the military though. That won’t matter right? I have documentation of it as well if that matters

Off topic but why do military mental health professionals prefer adjustment disorder as a diagnosis? I was at first diagnosed with adjustment disorder and then after five hospitalizations I guess they realized I had an issue and changed it to major depression. But I wonder why they didn’t listen to me the first time I was hospitalized I told them I was depressed. Seems like they play so many games with people who are really suffering.

Adjustment disorder is the least "labeling" of MH. Many MH professional understand that MH has a stigma and some patients despise being labeled. Additionally, in the military some diagnoses automatically generated an MEB. Some patient hate being labeled other patients go, "now I understand why I am _____." A few providers do it for charitable reasons.

In practice a label does three things. 1) It is the starting point of a treatment plan. 2) It is required for insurance reimbursement. 3) It helps should the provider be sued for malpractice.

Adjustment disorder is the least "labeling" of MH. Many MH professional understand that MH has a stigma and some patients despise being labeled. Additionally, in the military some diagnoses automatically generated an MEB. Some patient hate being labeled other patients go, "now I understand why I am _____." A few providers do it for charitable reasons.

In practice a label does three things. 1) It is the starting point of a treatment plan. 2) It is required for insurance reimbursement. 3) It helps should the provider be sued for malpractice.
That’s interesting. I would think an accurate diagnosis would help guide treatment. Personally I would rather have an accurate diagnosis and treatment than a diagnosis that is “less stigmatized” but does not accurately reflect my symptoms.

The provider would still treat you on what they really think.