Results of IPEB

USMC_JROD_USMC

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning Warriors, question for everyone and hopefully someone can provide some insight or wisdom. Hopefully I am asking the right question as well.

22 years AD Marine
Medboard results: 70%DOD / 100%VA
Placed on TDRL (and the reevaluations that come with)

I was under the impression since I am over 20 I would be placed on PDRL. The PEBLO said I will be getting 70% retirement vice the 55% I have earned due to the DOD percentage. She says I will also still collect VA pay as well.

Something sounds off to me in the above scenario. What I am is missing? What is the question I need to be asking here? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

You will collect both VA and DOD pay based on CRDP for those over 20 years of AFS. As for the DOD disability percentage vs. your longevity percentage which would be at 55%, I'm also somewhat confused since I'm in the same boat. Anyone I have spoken to that got medically retired over 20 did not have a higher DOD percentage than their TIS percentage so I'm still unsure. I read through it on the DFAS websiteand it sounds like we would get the higher of the two shown as method A in the below link. Let me know what the final outcome is since it sounds like you're a step ahead of me. Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > disability

@RP0404, Yeah, everything I saw addresses getting a DOD % that isn't as much as the 55% longevity. I literally cannot find anything which addresses a higher percentage for DOD and placement on TDRL while being over 20 years. In the grand scheme of things, I am not worried really. Upon review for TDRL it sounds like I eventually will get moved to PDRL at some point. Just really curious what I will be getting paid in the short term.

I can provide some insight. TDRL means one or more condition isn't stable to rate. So it can change. So for now you will receive 70% and CRDP but since that 70% isn't your set in stone until your are reevaluated. If at that point they determine your condition(s) are stable or its been 3 years then changed to PDRL. You are in a great situation because regardless of the final DOD% you will receive your pension and CRPD. So your floor is 55% but the 70% isn't a sure thing yet. They could lower your DOD so you should consult with someone with experience with TDRL. For example. almost all mental health diagnoses end up being TDRL. They want to see how you do outside of the military because presumable you cold get better. So if you aren't seeing a therapist or taking your meds your rating will go down. If you are able to function better socially by holding a job or going to school that points to you improving and your rating for mood disorders or PTSD would go down. So do your research to try to get your condition stable as quickly as possible. I have seen Soldiers tell their doctor who keeps wanting to try new things to chill and keep the course for a while just so they can show no changes so that they can get their TDRL changed to PDRL as quickly as possible. Once they do then they can try anything they want to help them without worry about being on TDRL forever or possibly lowering their rating because once TDRL is changed to PDRL is fixed. So if years go by and their condition gets worse they are shit out of luck.

Sorry for the long explanation but wanted to cover all the bases.

*Clarification the CRDP can't exceed the longevity portion of pay which is your 22 years which = 55%. CRDP restores your retirement pay that was supposed to be offset due to receiving VA disability.

Last edited:
You will collect both VA and DOD pay based on CRDP for those over 20 years of AFS. As for the DOD disability percentage vs. your longevity percentage which would be at 55%, I'm also somewhat confused since I'm in the same boat. Anyone I have spoken to that got medically retired over 20 did not have a higher DOD percentage than their TIS percentage so I'm still unsure. I read through it on the DFAS websiteand it sounds like we would get the higher of the two shown as method A in the below link. Let me know what the final outcome is since it sounds like you're a step ahead of me. Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > disability
Hello,
cc: @USMC_JROD_USMC @Provis @Vgrift

1. Your retired pay will be computed using the higher of the DoD disability multiplier OR the longevity multiplier (AD yrs x 2.5%)
2. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. There might be residual/left over retired pay you keep.
3. Since it appears you will be eligible for CRDP, it will restore the longevity amount of the waived /reduced retired pay.
4. The combination of CRDP when combined with residual retired pay , cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay (AD yrs x 2.5% x high three average base pay)

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks @RonG. What you said is what I was under the impression I was going to get. No matter what the DOD percentage, I will not receive higher than my 55% longevity retirement.

Thanks @RonG. What you said is what I was under the impression I was going to get. No matter what the DOD percentage, I will not receive higher than my 55% longevity retirement.
That is correct @USMC_JROD_USMC . Even if your DoD was much higher, resulting in some residual retired pay (remaining after the VA offset), you would be limited to the longevity portion of the retired pay...in that scenario, the combination of CRDP and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay (55% per your remark).

Good luck,
Ron