Severance pay timeline

jayyrzx

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Is anyone able to give a rough estimate of when your severance pay will hit your account from your last day of service?

Is anyone able to give a rough estimate of when your severance pay will hit your account from your last day of service?
Have you gotten any answers on this? I just finished terminal leave and my final pay and severance pay should be coming in soon. Looking for a timeline to expect.

I was discharged on 2 Feb and started recieving payments begining of april, i was very active in pushing my stuff along because my ANG finance was oblivious to the process, then i was very active in getting the taxes back that they took out, because if you have a VA rating for the same condition you were discharged for, it should not be taxed and you would be owed a refund if they took it out, it would also NOT be counted as income for yearly taxes, which is a big deal sometimes. Be active in the process

I thought severance pay was a lump some? I know it's taxed and if service connected you will get it back at tax season. Im also looking for the time line as im getting out in Nov time frame. Trying to increase the DOD from 20% to 30% for medical retirement instead of severance pay.

Last edited:
I thought severance pay was a lump some? I know it's taxed and if service connected you will get it back at tax season. Im also looking for the time line as im getting out in Nov time frame. Trying to increase the DOD from 20% to 30% for medical retirement instead of severance pay.
It is a lump sum basically, but my finance office couldnt get me 55k in a lump sum, so i got 2 payment a week for like 4 weeks.

Also remember, you cant get paid for the same thing twice, so if you are recieving a VA disability for something that you are getting a medical retirement for, they will basically take away that VA disability until the severance or retirement is paid back.

There is a caveat to that tho, like me, my disabilities so far are 40% 20% 10% 10% to equal 60%, they are likely to take the 20% away from me for my shoulder, but it will still equal 50% with the way the VA does math. And if i get this other one that is pending currently, ill be likely at 60 or 70%

Re: Recoupment

------------
You might want to become familar with the following:
M21-1, Part III, Subpart v, Chapter 4, Section B - Recoupment of Separation Benefits
--->LINK

III.v.4.B.3.b. General Policies Regarding Withholdings to Recoup Disability Severance PayGenerally, if a Veteran received disability severance pay, VA must withhold from his/her monthly compensation an amount equal to the monthly compensation payable for the disability(ies) for which the Veteran received disability severance pay. VA continues to withhold this amount until it has recouped the amount specified in M21-1, Part III, Subpart v, 4.B.2.d.

Important:
  • The monthly withholding may never exceed the monthly amount of compensation payable based on the initial, compensable rating, as defined in M21-1, Part III, Subpart v, 4.B.3.c, that VA assigns the severance-pay disability(ies).
  • If a Veteran has multiple, severance-pay disabilities, each rated 0-percent disabling, and VA assigns a 10-percent disability rating to them under 38 CFR 3.324, no withholding is necessary for these disabilities until VA assigns a compensable rating to one or more of them, individually.
  • Withhold the additional benefits payable because of application of the bilateral factor if
    • the initial, compensable rating included application of the bilateral factor, and
    • entitlement to the bilateral factor was based exclusively on severance-pay disabilities.

Is there any actually straight forward answers ?! When do you get your severance pay from after you are finally discharged?!