Sleep Apnea?

SSuD

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All,

I'm currently going through a MEB for BH conditions, with one of my symptoms being insomnia. I've been on several different sleep meds, and most have been marginally effective. I was given a sleep study earlier this year and found I was just below the threshold for sleep apnea. My sleep issues continued so I revisited a pulmonologist and they referred me to Dental for a mouthpiece because of me grinding my teeth and difficulty breathing while sleeping on my back.

My question is if I'm going to have an oral appliance for sleep apnea-related issues, shouldn't I be formally diagnosed with sleep apnea?

rjayflo1

Registered Member
I was in almost the same boat, I had a below the threshold reading also, got a mouthpiece for bruxism. that didn't help cause I pulled it out in my sleep. went back and when I saw the sleep doc she said I was so close to do it again. that night was a bad night for me and I was listed as mod to severe OSA. given a CPAP and received 50% rating for OSA. So I would suggest going to get another sleep study, you could have had a decent nights sleep the first time. hope that helps.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Gritting your teeth is called Bruxism; it is NOT the same as obstructive sleep apnea. There may be other diagnoses that are applicable but OSA is not one of them.

rjayflo1

Registered Member
Chappy is correct, two different issues, in my case I have percentages for both because they are indeed two different issues, but as I was fixing my bruxism it lead to other issues which in turn lead me to a CPAP. But a mouth piece and OSA are two different animals. Hope that helps.

SSuD

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I appreciate the feedback and I’ll clarify my situation a bit more. I still continue to have stoppages in my breathing at night, hypersomnia, restless sleep, waking up too early/throughput the night, shoring and frequent urination. I went to the sleep doctor to try to get another sleep study but all she did was review my previous one and refer me to the dentist for a mouth guard. The initial doctor that referred me for the sleep study was a TBI doctor and he said that I was just below the threshold and prescribed Flonase to help my airways at night. Unfortunately, that didn’t work. He assured me that if it didn’t work, he’d try the CPAP on me but I can’t even find him. He’s been on TDY for awhile now.

rjayflo1

Registered Member
Worst case scenario if you cant get a hold of that TBI doctor, talk to another doc at the TBI clinic or ask for a second opinion if not, you have up to one year after to get out to claim any issues that you feel were service connected. Keep all the documents then get a second opinion when you are out and then claim it. looking at your timeline and where you're at, I would wait to get out and start the OSA claim, then you are possibly dealing with civilian providers and you might get study you need and the CPAP a lot easier vs trying with army doctors with only 2 months left and your IDES process damn near complete. Its not LLE (life, limb or eyesight) so that would be your best bet.. or keep trying while your in..never hurts to keep asking. every installation is different. hope that helps.

SSuD

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’ve been told by another Vet to do what you’re suggesting. Waiting until I get out seems like the best option now. I’ll be visiting my MSC by the end of the month to schedule my VA follow-ups, so I’ll bring it up then. It would be nice to get the 50% rating after diagnosis but honestly I’m more concerned with getting better sleep. I plan on working full time after I get out (currently in a WTU, so I twiddle my thumbs all day outside of a college class and med appointments) and my current sleep quality won’t be enough to function properly.

Chaps_Z

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just be aware that if you wait until you get out, it takes 4-6 months (best case) to get a decision on your claim.

They will backpay you from the date you applied but still its a long wait.

SSuD

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just be aware that if you wait until you get out, it takes 4-6 months (best case) to get a decision on your claim.

They will backpay you from the date you applied but still its a long wait.
I'm aware of that but I'm already rated 100% VA. I just want OSA to be a claimed condition primarily for continued care.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">