TDRL question, Does ones job effect the outcome of their TDRL evaluations?

Pharoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have always wondered if a service member is put on TDRL and goes into a profession that would conflict with his or her disability could that possibly reduce the disability recieved once re-evaluated ?

Yes, possibly. If you are put out for back pain, for example, and you then take a job as a day laborer or warehouse worker where you lift things all day, they may find you fit and your rating would be reduced/eliminated. It is not so much the job (you are allowed to work), but what the job may indicate about your condition that matters.

Thank you Jason. I had always wondered about this. I would assume it is the same case for wounded warrior receiving SSDI.

It affected me extensively. I was driving a semi while on TDRL. I had to feed my family despite my PTSD and Depression. The military didn't see it that way. I was separated at 10%. Even though I still have problems with it all, they saw it as since I can work then I'm ok enough. I just would not tell them unless they ask.

Myself as well. I think one of their factors in trying to lower my rating at my re-evaluation was that I work for the Forest Service and can [barely] hold down a job. In other words, in the 18 month snapshot of my life that they saw they felt that I was doing awesome so...obviously things are all better. Of course I fought and won, but that's not the point. Point is: how I was doing in my life affected their view.

I believe it does as well. While I was in the hospital up in Bethesda recovering, I took an internship with DIA and when I was placed on TDRL, I moved to Florida because I was offered a job with DIA down here. When I went in for my periodic they ased about work and I told them and then lo and behold when I got my periodic results back from the PEB, I was taken from 50% down to 10%.