Time in Service-What Counts-USMC TERA

fidelis82

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The Marine Corps released a MARADMIN in march explaining an Unfit decision handed down by the PEB could be denied and TERA requested for Marines with at least 15 years. When do the years stop counting- i.e. A Marine has 14 years 10 months, PEB says unfit, when does timeline to separate begin? Is the 15 year mark hit because it would take 2 months to process out or does time stop as soon as the findings are released? Tracking you can appeal to hit that additional 2 months in the example. Just curious because thats likely going to be my situation.

USMC TERA

LINK to webpage announcement <—

“Justification for TERA submission. AC and AR TERA requests must meet one of the below criterion to be considered.

2.a. TERA in conjunction with waiving Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) findings. Marines being considered for disability separation or retirement must complete the PEB process with a finding of “unfit”, have more than 15 but less than 20 years active service, and be willing to waive the PEB findings in order to apply for TERA. Marines approved for early retirement in these cases must have a retirement date that occurs within the timeframe that a disability separation or retirement is expected to occur. Marines disapproved for TERA in conjunction with PEB findings will be required to execute their disability separation as directed by the PEB.

Recommend visiting with your USMC personnel office for details and the timeframes involved.

Re: “...Unfit decision handed down by the PEB could be denied and TERA requested for Marines with at least 15 years.” I think that “declined “ or “waived” are the appropriate terms rather than “denied”. Just an opinion.

Ron

Getting TERA is a financial windfall. I was retired CH 61 with 17.5 years, 100% DOD (paid at 75%) and 100% PT VA. If I had received a TERA retirement I would be making 1500 per month more for life.

USMC TERA

LINK to webpage announcement <—

“Justification for TERA submission. AC and AR TERA requests must meet one of the below criterion to be considered.

2.a. TERA in conjunction with waiving Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) findings. Marines being considered for disability separation or retirement must complete the PEB process with a finding of “unfit”, have more than 15 but less than 20 years active service, and be willing to waive the PEB findings in order to apply for TERA. Marines approved for early retirement in these cases must have a retirement date that occurs within the timeframe that a disability separation or retirement is expected to occur. Marines disapproved for TERA in conjunction with PEB findings will be required to execute their disability separation as directed by the PEB.

Recommend visiting with your USMC personnel office for details and the timeframes involved.

Re: “...Unfit decision handed down by the PEB could be denied and TERA requested for Marines with at least 15 years.” I think that “declined “ or “waived” are the appropriate terms rather than “denied”. Just an opinion.

Ron

I think that is the best approach, contact someone who knows within the Marine Corps. As it stands TERA or medical retirement, depending on the %, would be a drastic difference in pay. I am hoping to stay in however we will see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone dealt with applying for PLD? 18yr 10mos, VA has sent propsed finding back to PEB, waiting on phone call from PEBLO. Already found unfit. Preference would be to submit for TERA instead of trying to get 14mos of PLD

Has anyone dealt with applying for PLD? 18yr 10mos, VA has sent propsed finding back to PEB, waiting on phone call from PEBLO. Already found unfit. Preference would be to submit for TERA instead of trying to get 14mos of PLD
I hope you achieve your goal.

A couple of general comments about the Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA):

The USMC's TERA program (in conjunction with a PEB) is discussed at post 4 of this thread.

The TERA gave the military services authority to offer early retirement to Service members who have completed at least 15 years of active service. This is a discretionary authority and not an entitlement. The Army has elected to use this limited program as part of a comprehensive force management strategy to shape the force. It does not apply to Service members of the Army National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve.

The Army has ended the Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) program. Service members eligible for TERA must have submitted a request through their chain of command by January 15, 2018 for early retirement consideration. The authority to approve TERA was terminated on February 28, 2018.

TERA provisions for each of the services can be found at the human resources element for the applicable department/service.

Good luck,
Ron

The Marine Corps released a MARADMIN in march explaining an Unfit decision handed down by the PEB could be denied and TERA requested for Marines with at least 15 years. When do the years stop counting- i.e. A Marine has 14 years 10 months, PEB says unfit, when does timeline to separate begin? Is the 15 year mark hit because it would take 2 months to process out or does time stop as soon as the findings are released? Tracking you can appeal to hit that additional 2 months in the example. Just curious because thats likely going to be my situation.

I have a very similar situation and was wondering if you ever found any concrete information on this. Thanks.

I have a very similar situation and was wondering if you ever found any concrete information on this. Thanks.
I called HQMC and spoke with the Marine who runs TERA and separations. He said if found unfit and over 15 = TERA. They literally just sign off on them. Your AFADBD is how the years toward retirement are calculated. I was commissioned in May but my AFADB is in April so my 15 years would hit in April. Hope that helps some. You can call them and ask literally any question and get a decent answer. Hope this helps.

I called HQMC and spoke with the Marine who runs TERA and separations. He said if found unfit and over 15 = TERA. They literally just sign off on them. Your AFADBD is how the years toward retirement are calculated. I was commissioned in May but my AFADB is in April so my 15 years would hit in April. Hope that helps some. You can call them and ask literally any question and get a decent answer. Hope this helps.
That is a perfect suggestion.

"TERA in conjunction with waiving Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) findings. Marines being considered for disability separation or retirement must complete the PEB process with a finding of “unfit”, have more than 15 but less than 20 years active service, and be willing to waive the PEB findings in order to apply for TERA. Marines approved for early retirement in these cases must have a retirement date that occurs within the timeframe that a disability separation or retirement is expected to occur. Marines disapproved for TERA in conjunction with PEB findings will be required to execute their disability separation as directed by the PEB. " See post number 4 in this thread for reference.

Human Resources and Organizational Management (ARH)

HROM Director, (703) 614-8371

Other USMC telephone numbers: AT THIS LINK <----

Ron

Good evening,
Does anyone have any information on how transferring the IDES disability claim to a Benefits Delivery at Discharge claim works if the TERA in conjunction with unfit findings is approved?