When to apply for CRSC?

Darkspanner

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm currently awaiting for my VA ratings to come back so I'm nearing the end of the process. E-Benefits has me at pending supervisor approval; my question is do I submit my claim once I get my ratings, after I'm completely separated, after orders, etc.

Thank you for your time reading my current question while I'm stuck in bed on the weekend.

I'm currently awaiting for my VA ratings to come back so I'm nearing the end of the process. E-Benefits has me at pending supervisor approval; my question is do I submit my claim once I get my ratings, after I'm completely separated, after orders, etc.

Thank you for your time reading my current question while I'm stuck in bed on the weekend.
One must be in a retired status for CRSC eligibility. Pending retirement, terminal leave and/or permissive TDY in conjunction with retirement are not "in a retired status."

Your VA rating(s) documentation from the VA is one of the most important documents for CRSC consideration.

It's been almost 15 years since my initial CRSC application, but I seem to remember I had to include my retirement orders and DD 214 with the application packet.

A collection of CRSC information is at THIS LINK <----

Ron

From the Army CRSC page (included within the linked material above):

"Step 3- Make sure you have a retired pay account, and a VA waiver in place on your retired pay account from DFAS. Go to 'My Pay" pull up your electronic retired pay account, look near the bottom and you will see the word "Waiver" and a dollar amount next to it. The two must common reasons for an ineligible letter to be mailed out is No retired pay account and/or VA waiver not in place on account.
Step 4-
Determine if your decisions state “HOW” the injury occurred (If not, go though your personnel and medical records to see if you can find any evidence to verify the claim)"

Ron

From the Army CRSC page (included within the linked material above):

"Step 3- Make sure you have a retired pay account, and a VA waiver in place on your retired pay account from DFAS. Go to 'My Pay" pull up your electronic retired pay account, look near the bottom and you will see the word "Waiver" and a dollar amount next to it. The two must common reasons for an ineligible letter to be mailed out is No retired pay account and/or VA waiver not in place on account.
Step 4-
Determine if your decisions state “HOW” the injury occurred (If not, go though your personnel and medical records to see if you can find any evidence to verify the claim)"

Ron

Thank You Ron. So most definitely after I have already separated.

Thank You Ron. So most definitely after I have already separated.
Yes, and you might want to ensure DFAS has established a retiree account for you (i.e., call DFAS).

Ron

The first day you are in retired status.

so i can apply for CRSC while im on TDRL? I just dont want to do the paperwork then they say it's too early. Also when can you put in a new claim or rather further proof for a old claim. When they did everything for my headaches it should have been under migraines and I ended up getting all the proof up for it after my meb paperwork was already sent up. August 12 was my last day active. I just received my final decision from the VA today sept 9th. So do I have to wait until I am permanent before I can turn in the proof about my migraines with the diagnosis or can I do it while I'm temporary. Also is it worth fighting for if you are already at 80%. I dont want to rock any boats if it can cause my percentage to change.
Thank you

As I mentioned in post no. 8, “Many receive CRSC while on the TDRL and of course, the PDRL.”

Someone else will address your other questions.

Good luck,
Ron

If someone waits to file for CRSC until after their 5 years on TDRL is up (new way is 3 years) then gets 10% or higher from the DOD will the "retroactive pay start once the application is submitted or at the beginning of the injury, or once approved for TDRL? Thanks

If someone waits to file for CRSC until after their 5 years on TDRL is up (new way is 3 years) then gets 10% or higher from the DOD will the "retroactive pay start once the application is submitted or at the beginning of the injury, or once approved for TDRL? Thanks
1. 10% from the DOD does not qualify for retirement. One of the requirements for CRSC is retired status.

2. 30% is the minimum DoD percentage which qualifies one for retired pay.

3. The CRSC approval letter will cite the effective date. If eligible for CRSC for the entire five years then it is likely the effective date will be retroactive for that period. There is a six-year barring law which limits retroactive payments.

4. Purposely waiting a long period of time to file a claim is problematic in my opinion. Note: If one is no longer in a retired status when they file a claim, the process is more complex. I don’t know if the Human Resources Command would process such an application.

Ron