Where to go from here? 30% permanant retired over 20 yrs AD

nooneuno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I'll have 20 years 11 months and seven days of AD service when I retire. I went through a PEB and the Air Force awarded 30% Permanant retirement. I tried to file a claim with the VA on-line and they sent me a letter saying I can't apply because I am still active duty. I thought there was a pre-discharge application. I'm told I will receive length of service retirement percentage because I am over twenty.

I'm assuming you are not in the pilot program and have not already been checked out by the VA right? Stupid question but I just wanted to make sure. If you are in the legacy DES and are trying to file a VA claim you CAN do so before you are retired and the VONAPP website should allow you to do this. Here is the VA's page on the pre-discharge program:
Pre-Discharge Home Page

The Benefits delivery at Discharge program (BDD) is for service members that have 60-180 days left on active duty. So if VONAPP didn't accept it it could be because you are outside of that window. That page can be found here:
Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)

If you have 1-59 days left on AD, you will be under the quick start program:
Quick Start

Either way you can always go to an actual facility and take the forms listed on the first link I posted. You can find the nearest VA facility here:
Interactive US Map - Locations

As for the CRDP, it is *supposed* to be automatic. Once you have both checks coming in, your DOD retirement should not be offset by the VA compensation, in your case. That said, just like your active duty pay, keep an eye on it and make sure you are getting paid correctly.

Congratulations on your retirement!

The Benefits delivery at Discharge program (BDD) is for service members that have 60-180 days left on active duty. So if VONAPP didn't accept it it could be because you are outside of that window.

I used VONAPP and applied online a few weeks ago which put me in this window, but I must have done something wrong because I got a letter back saying I couldn't apply while I was still active duty. I'll try again, but it looks like If I will probably be looking at the quick start program now. I'm at 63 days until retirement, but I'll apply again tonight... so we will see. Thanks again.

Glad I could point you in the right direction. If you're still having problems you should call the office your application was sent to and see what the error is. Their contact information should be on the letter they sent you. There seems to be no reason why you wouldn't be able to apply under the pre-discharge program, so hopefully this was just a mistake. I'm sure you know, as you have already gone through the DES, that some people need reminders of their own regulations.

Hopefully they will use the date you originally applied and will still be in the BDD.

Good luck!

I called them. They are reopening the case and I am sending all my medical records to the VA facility. The mistake was, they assumed I was retiring on the first of the month. When actually it isn't until the 23rd of March. That's because a retirement under the DES is usually between the 23rd and 28th day of the month instead of the 1st day of the month following your DEROS on a normal LOS retirement. Thanks again.

I'm glad you were able to straighten things out.