Appeal of ratings

TRome93

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was rated at 70% VA and 0% DOD. I have a genetic condition that the VA rated since it may have been “aggregated” by my service. The DOD found the opposite, saying that it was the normal progression of the disease. My attorney recommended an appeal because it “couldn’t hurt”. Today I found that they were postponing all formal boards for the foreseeable future. That being said I had plans to attend university starting in August. Has anyone had success appealing a 0% DOD rating through the BCNR process? Or should I just wait it out and possible miss the semester? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that, but I do know that if you are separate at 0% DOD that you will get severance pay from the DOD and the VA will not recoup any of that money. If you research your claimed condition and think that an appeal would get you 30% or more I would say go for it. If you think they will assign 10% or 20% you will owe your severance.

Was this IDES or LDES? What rating did the VA apply to your claimed conditions?

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that, but I do know that if you are separate at 0% DOD that you will get severance pay from the DOD and the VA will not recoup any of that money. If you research your claimed condition and think that an appeal would get you 30% or more I would say go for it. If you think they will assign 10% or 20% you will owe your severance.

Was this IDES or LDES? What rating did the VA apply to your claimed conditions?
I received 70 VA. I was told by my PEBLO that I will not receive any severance for the separation because the DOD found it not service connected at all. That is why I am appealing. I just do not know if it’s worth doing it after through the other process. I heard the success rate is much lower once you discharge from the military

Ahh. That makes sense. I would definitely appeal then. If your lawyer thinks it should be service connected, I would say go for it. They can’t take anything away from you at this point. I know how frustrating the process can be, but if you don’t fight for what you deserve nobody will! Keep your head up and appeal!