mypay ras 1620
50 dod
9 years 10 months 3 days
90% VA
Approved crsc 10%
married spouse 3 children under 18
Hello,

Re: "Approved crsc 10% "

Your CRSC will be $142.29 which is the VA compensation rate for 10% as shown in the VA comp tables.

Regards,
Ron

RI1984

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good Afternoon,

Re-up for this post as I was approved for the CRSC program and paid with both the monthly and back pay portion. My new question now is pertaining the rate increase from 90- 100% disabled with the VA, Do I need to resubmit my CRSC paperwork or will this be automatically done on its own and with my new rating changes? Is it possible to to get the updated figures. Thanks in advance and hope everyone is doing well.

J

H3 $2583
Army Medical retirement 30%
8.5 Years active
VA comp 100 % with wife no kids
CRSC rating 60%
Permanent retirement with benefits and full VA waiver.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Good Afternoon,

Re-up for this post as I was approved for the CRSC program and paid with both the monthly and back pay portion. My new question now is pertaining the rate increase from 90- 100% disabled with the VA, Do I need to resubmit my CRSC paperwork or will this be automatically done on its own and with my new rating changes? Is it possible to to get the updated figures. Thanks in advance and hope everyone is doing well.

J

H3 $2583
Army Medical retirement 30%
8.5 Years active
VA comp 100 % with wife no kids
CRSC rating 60%
Permanent retirement with benefits and full VA waiver.
Hello,

I doubt your CRSC amount increased based on the info you provided.

1. 8.5 years AD (which is 8 years and 6 months) x 2.5% = 21.25% longevity multiplier
2. 2583 high three x 0.2125 = 548.89 longevity portion of retired pay based on the info you provided.
3. CRSC can never be more than the longevity portion of the retirement pay. Your current CRSC should be ~548.89 based on your info.
4. This computation includes the assumption that the high three is current. If it is not, the gross retired pay on your DFAS RAS should be provided. Current gross/30% = high three currently (includes COLA increases).

Ron

Edited to add: Earlier this year I mentioned to you, “It means you will receive only $548.89 from DFAS.” This was after my computation at that time.

February 2020:
Hello,

Estimate:

1. 2583 x 0.30 = 774.90 reduced to zero by amount of VA comp
2. CRSC @ 60% with spouse = $1,131.68
3. 8.5 years (8 yrs 6 mo) x 0.025 = 21.25%
4. 2583 x 0.2125 = 548.89 longevity portion of retired pay

Your CRSC will be 548.89, the longevity portion is the ceiling.

Ron

Last edited:

RI1984

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you for the quick reply, I wasn't sure if there would be an adjustment based on the increase with my VA rating from 90- 100 for a combat-related injury. Thanks again for the assist!

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Yes, it would seem it would increase but the ceiling is the longevity portion of the retirement pay.

Regards,
Ron

Ken

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

First of all, thank you for your time and feedback!

I have an issue that many reservists or guardsmen may face with Chapter 61 retirements, the reserve or guard components, and DFAS CRDP.

I had a total of 29 combined years of active and reserve duty (5685 points), I received my 20 letter (NOE) in 2005. I was on Title 10 Orders (EAD) in 2013 which resulted in a PEB/MEB and Chapter 61 Retirement.

Since I was a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 years of active duty time I am not qualified for CRDP. Are reservists and guardsmen denied CRDP based on this rule? Does having a 20-year NOE prior to activation and MEB factor into CRDP?

I have a copy of the "conversation" from DFAS indicating they have a copy of my NOE I sent in but DFAS needs NEW ORDERS from the service branch when I turn 60 years old ? I called the reserve section, they advised me that since I was a chapter 61 retiree that they cannot assist me and transferred me to the active-duty section, in turn, I was advised there are no "New Orders" submitted to DFAS when I turn 60.

Thank you and advance and confused...

Ken

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @Ken ,

CRDP for RC personnel who initially receive disability retirement
—have 20 good years (and the letter)
—have VA rating of 50% or more
—meet the RC age requirement for RC retirement

I have seen many of these cases and all of them involved an application for RC retirement as the individual neared the RC age eligible for retirement.

The approved orders for the RC retirement cause DFAS to start your CRDP if you meet all the requirements.
A rhetorical question: How else would DFAS know that you qualify (when considering the orders)?

Your problem is not with DFAS, it is with the military. If you are Army you might visit their Human Resources Command web site.

This is new to you and evidently your command but it is not an esoteric problem/question.

I grabbed this a moment ago...it might be of help: HRC Homepage <—-LINK

Ron

Last edited:

Ken

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ron,

Thank you for your time and explanation. I was an Air Force Reservist and I have contacted the AFPC and ARPC about this issue. Their response was , because of my Chapter 61 retirement while on EAD (title 10) , there is nothing the reserve command can or will do.

The part I do not understand is an application for RC retirement? I have my medical retirement orders and DD214 indicating retirement based on disability from 2013. I know this issue is not unique to me but still can't wrap my head around why I cannot get an answer from my service branch.

Once again, thanks for all your help...

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @Ken ,

RE: "The part I do not understand is an application for RC retirement? I have my medical retirement orders and DD214 indicating retirement based on disability from 2013. I know this issue is not unique to me but still can't wrap my head around why I cannot get an answer from my service branch."--Ken
Comments: Your medical retirement does not qualify you for CRDP. You do not have 20 years AD. You become eligible for RC retirement upon reaching the required retirement age (~60). Your RC retirement plus having 50% or more in VA approved disabilities, would qualify you for CRDP. One does not gain approval for a RC retirement without an application for it.
----
Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64
640203. Physical Disability Retirement Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP, unless they have 20 years of service for determining entitlement to non-regular (reserve) retired pay and are otherwise eligible for such reserve retired pay.

640204. Non-Regular Retired Pay Members eligible for retirement for non-regular service are not eligible to receive CRDP until they reach retirement age and have applied for and have become entitled to receive retired pay.
-----

Note:
Non-Regular = RC/NG

I am not a Chapter 61 retiree nor have I served in the USAF; therefore, I am not familiar with the precise steps in the RC retirement process.
---
Other remarks.

All Reserve/NG/Regular retirements require an application for retirement. I submitted one in 1991 for my regular retirement from the Army after 20+ years of AD.

There is not a process in place that automatically transfers one from a disability retirement to a RC retirement; consequently, an application is required. Once your reserve retirement is approved and you are being paid for it, the following will apply:

--Your disability retirement percentage can still be used as the multiplier for retired pay if if is higher than the percentage determined by active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5% (= longevity multiplier) x average high three base pay for retirement.
--Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation you receive,. You get to keep and residual (left over) retired pay from the reduction/waiver.
--CRDP will restore some of the waived/reduced retired pay not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
--The combination of your residual retired pay (if any) combined with the CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: Members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code may be entitled to CRDP only if they have at least 20 years of service qualifying for regular or reserve retirement. Additionally, any disability retired pay that is in excess of retired pay to which that member would be otherwise entitled (i.e., for years of service) remains subject to offset and may not be restored under the CRDP program. --->LINK to reference

DFAS CRDP.

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
----

Air Reserve Personnel Center

Retirements link: CLICK HERE <---
Submit your questions to the AF this LINK <---
If the service member has other questions about retirement, the service member should contact the Total Force Service Center at 1-800-525-0102

Applying for retirement pay begins by submitting an application through the Virtual Personnel Center, vPC. Individuals approaching their Retirement pay effective date (60th birthday or reduced retirement pay age) should submit an application four months prior to this date.

The DD Form 2656 should be filled out and submitted no earlier than 4 months and no later than 30 days before your 60th birthday.

Learn about the Retirement Application Process (how-to video).

Electronically Submit Your Retirement Application via myPers OR

Mail Your Retirement Application to:

HQ ARPC / DPTTR
18420 E. SILVER CREEK AVE
BLDG 390, MS68
BUCKLEY AFB, CO
80011-9502

---
Ron

Ken

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello @Ken ,

RE: "The part I do not understand is an application for RC retirement? I have my medical retirement orders and DD214 indicating retirement based on disability from 2013. I know this issue is not unique to me but still can't wrap my head around why I cannot get an answer from my service branch."--Ken
Comments: Your medical retirement does not qualify you for CRDP. You do not have 20 years AD. You become eligible for RC retirement upon reaching the required retirement age (~60). Your RC retirement plus having 50% or more in VA approved disabilities, would qualify you for CRDP. One does not gain approval for a RC retirement without an application for it.
----
Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64
640203. Physical Disability Retirement Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP, unless they have 20 years of service for determining entitlement to non-regular (reserve) retired pay and are otherwise eligible for such reserve retired pay.

640204. Non-Regular Retired Pay Members eligible for retirement for non-regular service are not eligible to receive CRDP until they reach retirement age and have applied for and have become entitled to receive retired pay.
-----

Note:
Non-Regular = RC/NG

I am not a Chapter 61 retiree nor have I served in the USAF; therefore, I am not familiar with the precise steps in the RC retirement process.
---
Other remarks.

All Reserve/NG/Regular retirements require an application for retirement. I submitted one in 1991 for my regular retirement from the Army after 20+ years of AD.

There is not a process in place that automatically transfers one from a disability retirement to a RC retirement; consequently, an application is required. Once your reserve retirement is approved and you are being paid for it, the following will apply:

--Your disability retirement percentage can still be used as the multiplier for retired pay if if is higher than the percentage determined by active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5% (= longevity multiplier) x average high three base pay for retirement.
--Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation you receive,. You get to keep and residual (left over) retired pay from the reduction/waiver.
--CRDP will restore some of the waived/reduced retired pay not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
--The combination of your residual retired pay (if any) combined with the CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: Members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code may be entitled to CRDP only if they have at least 20 years of service qualifying for regular or reserve retirement. Additionally, any disability retired pay that is in excess of retired pay to which that member would be otherwise entitled (i.e., for years of service) remains subject to offset and may not be restored under the CRDP program. --->LINK to reference

DFAS CRDP.

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
----

Air Reserve Personnel Center

Retirements link: CLICK HERE <---
Submit your questions to the AF this LINK <---
If the service member has other questions about retirement, the service member should contact the Total Force Service Center at 1-800-525-0102

Applying for retirement pay begins by submitting an application through the Virtual Personnel Center, vPC. Individuals approaching their Retirement pay effective date (60th birthday or reduced retirement pay age) should submit an application four months prior to this date.

The DD Form 2656 should be filled out and submitted no earlier than 4 months and no later than 30 days before your 60th birthday.

Learn about the Retirement Application Process (how-to video).

Electronically Submit Your Retirement Application via myPers OR

Mail Your Retirement Application to:

HQ ARPC / DPTTR
18420 E. SILVER CREEK AVE
BLDG 390, MS68
BUCKLEY AFB, CO
80011-9502

---
Ron
Ron, once again thank you so much for taking your valuable time and patience in explaining this elusive “secret” that AFPC and DFAS could not explain in layman terms.

You are a life saver...this issue was driving me a bit nuts!

Thanks and be safe!

Ken

CWOjws

Registered Member
Ron,

Tried the formula myself and came up with a different amount then my PEBLO. When asked about it, he stated just wait until I hear from DFAS. To me, that’s like an 8 year old waiting until January 1st to open a Christmas present. Any help/estimate from you would be greatly appreciated.

High 3 average is $8430

DoD 60%

36 years Reserve & Active duty (5019 points = 13.75 years). Currently a reservist.

VA rating 100% with spouse

CRSC 50%

Retirement age reduced 19 months due to combat deployments.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Ron,

Tried the formula myself and came up with a different amount then my PEBLO. When asked about it, he stated just wait until I hear from DFAS. To me, that’s like an 8 year old waiting until January 1st to open a Christmas present. Any help/estimate from you would be greatly appreciated.

High 3 average is $8430

DoD 60%

36 years Reserve & Active duty (5019 points = 13.75 years). Currently a reservist.

CRSC 50%
Hello,

First, if you have 20 good years and have met the age requirement for reserve retirement immediately, you would be better off with CRDP since your CRSC rating is 50% and replaces only the 50% rate/amount in the VA comp tables OR the longevity portion of retired pay, whichever is the lesser.

CRDP would allow you to retain all the longevity portion of your retired pay; however, the combination of CRDP and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

I've give you a CRSC estimate in the next post.

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @CWOjws

Case for CRSC.

High 3 average is $8430

DoD 60%

CRSC 50%

Estimate.

1. 8430 x 60% = 5058 disability retired pay
2. 5058 reduced by amount of VA comp, 3,279.22 = 1778.78 residual retired pay
3. 13.75 AD equivalent x 2.5% = 34.38% longevity multiplier
4. 8430 x 34.38 = 2898.23 longevity portion of retired pay
5. CRSC @ 50% = 979.43 (longevity amount exceed this)
6. Based on the info provided, you will receive the following each month from DFAS:
--1778.78 residual retired pay
--zero in CRSC
7. VA comp each month: 3279.22

Ron

I'll add CRDP info in a few minutes...same post/thread. RG

CRDP Estimate/info.

Note, requirement: 20 good years, have attained the RC age requirement, and have a VA rating of 50% or more.

1. 8430 x 60% = 5058 disability retired pay
2. 5058 reduced by amount of VA comp, 3,279.22 = 1778.78 residual retired pay
3. 13.75 AD equivalent x 2.5% = 34.38% longevity multiplier
4. 8430 x 34.38 = 2898.23 longevity portion of retired pay
5. CRDP maximum, 2898.23 longevity portion of retired pay minus 1778.78 residual retired pay = 1119.45 CRDP
6. Based on the info provided, you will receive the following each month from DFAS:
--1778.78 residual retired pay
--1119.45 CRDP
TOTAL: 2898.23 from DFAS
7. VA comp each month: 3279.22

Note: CRDP is retired pay itself. It will be shown only on page 2 of the DFAS RAS as a comment. It will be included in the gross retired pay on page 1.

Ron

CWOjws

Registered Member
Ron,
Thank you for your quick response. Your message shows me that I was wrong and my PEBLO was right. That is good to know since he is my representative. However, you explained it a lot better.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I am glad we could help...

Ron

Machone85

Registered Member
Hi Ron, hope you could help me out.

I recently was place on the PRDL and am trying to determine what my pay will look like. I retire next week and will submit my CRCS the day of so it is yet unknown. My details are as follows:

DoD rating: 70% (Combat related)
VA Rating w/Child: $2,077 (70% is combat related by VA)
High 36: $7,073
Active Service: 11.8 years
CRCS: Unknown

thanks for your help Sir.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hi Ron, hope you could help me out.

I recently was place on the PRDL and am trying to determine what my pay will look like. I retire next week and will submit my CRCS the day of so it is yet unknown. My details are as follows:

DoD rating: 70% (Combat related)
VA Rating w/Child: $2,077 (70% is combat related by VA)
High 36: $7,073
Active Service: 11.8 years
CRCS: Unknown

thanks for your help Sir.
Hello @Machone85

Estimate without having an approved CRSC rating.

1, High three (which is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36) 7073 x 70% DoD = 4951.10 retired pay
2. 4951.10 minus 2077 VA amount = 2874.10 residual retired pay you keep (before I continue...your residual retired pay is so large that I doubt you will receive any CRSC)
3. 11.8 AD (which is not 11 years and 8 months) x 2.5% = 29.50% longevity multiplier

4. 7073 x 29.50% = 2086,54 longevity portion of retired pay. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of CRSC plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay...as well.

Using the info you provided, you will receive each month:
--VA comp = 2077
--DFAS residual retired pay = 2874.10 residual retired pay

If your "high three" was reported incorrectly, please let me know. It is is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

Ron

Machone85

Registered Member
Hello @Machone85

Estimate without having an approved CRSC rating.

1, High three (which is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36) 7073 x 70% DoD = 4951.10 retired pay
2. 4951.10 minus 2077 VA amount = 2874.10 residual retired pay you keep (before I continue...your residual retired pay is so large that I doubt you will receive any CRSC)
3. 11.8 AD (which is not 11 years and 8 months) x 2.5% = 29.50% longevity multiplier

4. 7073 x 29.50% = 2086,54 longevity portion of retired pay. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of CRSC plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay...as well.

Using the info you provided, you will receive each month:
--VA comp = 2077
--DFAS residual retired pay = 2874.10 residual retired pay

If your "high three" was reported incorrectly, please let me know. It is is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

Ron
Thank you Sir, much appreciated. I determined my high 36 by using the individual 2017-2020 pay charts according to my length of service for the associated month’s pay. Is that the appropriate method to determine the high 36?

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thank you Sir, much appreciated. I determined my high 36 by using the individual 2017-2020 pay charts according to my length of service for the associated month’s pay. Is that the appropriate method to determine the high 36?
It is usually the total of the last 36 months of pay...divided by 36.

More precisely: "High three (which is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36)"

Some, but not many I suppose, would have some higher rates outside the last 36 months.

Your method seems sound to me. At worst, it will just be close.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">