DA 199

StaJac98

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning to all,

I just got my DA 199 back. It had V1 and V3 marked as Yes.

What exactly does this do for me? Can I apply for CRSC once I receive my DD-214?

Good morning to all,

I just got my DA 199 back. It had V1 and V3 marked as Yes.

What exactly does this do for me? Can I apply for CRSC once I receive my DD-214?
Congratulations. That means your chapter 61 pension will be exempt from federal income taxes (as long as your DOD% is higher than longevity earned %) and that you will get preferential treatment in hiring for government jobs. That is what the V codes mean. CRSC is it's own thing and getting V1/V3 checked as yes doesn't guarantee that ou will get approved for CRSC.

You can apply for CRSC after you get out. Just go to your branches website for CRSC application. If you already have 20 years active duty in there may not be a benefit since CRSC helps claw back some of your chapter 61 pension that is lost due to the required VA offset. If you have 20 years AFS then there is no VA offset if your VA% is 50% or higher.

How long have you been in? Active duty or Guard/Reserve? If Guard/Reserve how many points and good years do you have? What is your estimated high 3? That is taking your last 36 months of base pay and adding them together and then dividing by 36 to get that number. What is your estimated VA%? What is your estimated CRSC% that you think you will get? Also, CRSC% equals VA %. So if you had 70% for PTSD by the VA and you think it will be approved for CRSC then it would be 70% and then you can use the VA disability calculators to see what that amount would be.

Congratulations. That means your chapter 61 pension will be exempt from federal income taxes (as long as your DOD% is higher than longevity earned %) and that you will get preferential treatment in hiring for government jobs. That is what the V codes mean. CRSC is it's own thing and getting V1/V3 checked as yes doesn't guarantee that ou will get approved for CRSC.

You can apply for CRSC after you get out. Just go to your branches website for CRSC application. If you already have 20 years active duty in there may not be a benefit since CRSC helps claw back some of your chapter 61 pension that is lost due to the required VA offset. If you have 20 years AFS then there is no VA offset if your VA% is 50% or higher.

How long have you been in? Active duty or Guard/Reserve? If Guard/Reserve how many points and good years do you have? What is your estimated high 3? That is taking your last 36 months of base pay and adding them together and then dividing by 36 to get that number. What is your estimated VA%? What is your estimated CRSC% that you think you will get? Also, CRSC% equals VA %. So if you had 70% for PTSD by the VA and you think it will be approved for CRSC then it would be 70% and then you can use the VA disability calculators to see what that amount would be.

How would one know if their DOD % is higher than longevity earned %?? I'm sure I'm over thinking all of this but unsure.

How would one know if their DOD % is higher than longevity earned %?? I'm sure I'm over thinking all of this but unsure.
AFS i.e. years of service (unless reserve component, then it's total points / 360 = years of service) x 2.5% = longevity.

AFS i.e. years of service (unless reserve component, then it's total points / 360 = years of service) x 2.5% = longevity.
Thanks! I think I’m just confused about the whole thing. I know there are many factors and all that, but I’m lost on calculating chapter 61 retirement pay and what the VA offset is. The high three throws me off and sadly I’m not 100% of the calculation at this point. I thought I had it figured out but I guess not. lol

thank you.

I'm at 7 years active duty.
im 70% DOD and 90% VA
So, without even seeing your grade (unless you were an officer, then it's a different beast all together), I can tell you that your VA compensation (not including dependents, if any) will start at $2,241.91/mo, which will completely offset any amount that you would see from the DoD. CRSC helps you get that offset back, it's not automatic, you have to apply for it AFTER your VA compensation kicks in. You start with DD Form 2860, for additional info there's a link in my signature to my group on FB if you are so inclined.

So, without even seeing your grade (unless you were an officer, then it's a different beast all together), I can tell you that your VA compensation (not including dependents, if any) will start at $2,241.91/mo, which will completely offset any amount that you would see from the DoD. CRSC helps you get that offset back, it's not automatic, you have to apply for it AFTER your VA compensation kicks in. You start with DD Form 2860, for additional info there's a link in my signature to my group on FB if you are so inclined.
My apologies I left that out.

E-5 and thank you so much!

My apologies I left that out.

E-5 and thank you so much!
CRSC due to length of service will cap you out at about $575 +/-. Mind you, this is a ROUGH est and depends if you get at least 40% if it's you alone or 30% with at least one dependent

Just received my 199. I'm trying to estimate retirement benefits with CRSC.
O-5 with 35 years service
3980 career points/ 1976 AD points
DOD 60% V1-V3, VA 100%

Also, once I reach my retirement age, will the higher amount from the DOD permanent 60% remain? When does it go down?

DOD 60% V1-V3, VA 100%

Also, once I reach my retirement age, will the higher amount from the DOD permanent 60% remain? When does it go down?
Hello @Sev3n ,

Info needed for a CRSC estimate =

1. Average high three base pay (total of highest 36 months base pay divided by 36)
2. Active duty equivalent ( active duty time PLUS total creditable points divided by 360)
3. Approved DoD disability percentage
4. Approved VA percentage AND amount, plus show dependents by category and number
5. Any approved VA SMC ?
6. Expected CRSC percentage
7. Do you have a 20 year letter?
8. Were you in the Blended Retirement Program?

All the info requested above is needed.

Ron

Edited add, preliminary info.
a. Your disability retired pay wiil be 60% x average high three base pay
b. Your DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation. You keep any residual. You are not eligible for Concurrent Receipt (former CRDP) at this time.
c. Your CRSC will be the lesser / lower amount of
—longevity portion of retired pay
Or
—the amount for the approved CRSC percentage using the VA comp tankes
d. Any residual retired pay will reduce your CRSC ceiling.

Ron

Last edited:
DOD 60% V1-V3, VA 100%

It doesn't go down UNLESS you decide to apply for reserve compo retirement at age 60 (unless eligible for early reserve retirement). One thing to be aware of: do NOT, I repeat: DO NOT elect to go with early reserve retirement IF you plan on depending on Tricare post-retirement! There currently is NOT an option to get Tricare Reserve Retirement at the cheap rate that kicks in at age 60 any earlier than age 60, so early reserve retirement Tricare coverage becomes the grey area retiree version which is quite expensive (think COBRA rates and you'd be close!). I retired at 50, was eligible for early reserve retirement at 52 1/2 and am waiting until 60 to switch to CRDP.

So, it behooves you to file for CRSC as soon as you are out and drawing VA compensation as @RonG states your DoD retirement is going to be offset by your VA compensation. Me? O-6 w/5400 retirement points/33 years of service. I went through IDES and was 70% DoD/100% VA, I am waiting it out until next year (age 60) to start drawing CRDP as mentioned above. If I was eligible for CRSC, it might have been a different discussion, but am not.

1. Average high three base pay (total of highest 36 months base pay divided by 36)
2. Active duty equivalent ( active duty time PLUS total creditable points divided by 360)
3. Approved DoD disability percentage
4. Approved VA percentage AND amount, plus show dependents by category and number
5. Any approved VA SMC ?
6. Expected CRSC percentage
7. Do you have a 20 year letter?
8. Were you in the Blended Retirement Program?
1. 952.25
2. 5.4 years
3. 60%
4. 80%, 2094.15, spouse only
5. N
6. 60
7. Y
8. N

I think I've got all this right

1. 952.25
2. 5.4 years
3. 60%
4. 80%, 2094.15, spouse only
5. N
6. 60
7. Y
8. N

I think I've got all this right
Sorry, it is not.

—average high three base pay is not the net; it is the gross BP high 36 total divided by 36
— Your active duty equivalent is XXX NUMBER OF YEARS AND MONTHS AD and to that number you add the result of total reserve points for retirement divided by 360. You might already have this info from your reserve unit.

Ron