Retro Pay timeline.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My husband was approved for CRSC backdated to his medical retirement of 26 Feb 18. He was approved in October, first CRSC pay was Dec 18. When we called to inquire about backpay today the DFAS rep said it was in audit but had been rejected. She had no idea what that meant, but she suggested that maybe something was input wrong. They can’t deny you backpay that you were approved for (based on the CRSC approval letter stating Feb 2018) - can they?
FYI: He has no debt, did not owe the military any money - was medically retired after 18 years, is rated 100% VA and 80% AF with 80% CRSC.
There are disability retirees who have approved CRSC but are not entitled to CRSC because their residual retired pay (left over) from the VA offset is more than the CRSC. The combination of residual retired pay + CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay. Has your husband continued to receive a portion of his retired pay and if so, what is the gross amount? His gross retired pay was probably high three average base pay x 75% = gross retired pay.

The amount of gross retired pay should be reduced by the VA offset of $3000+.

Also, if your husband did not waive retired pay in the amount of VA compensation for the retroactive period there would be no entitlement since CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. No waiver = no CRSC.

Your husband should insist upon speaking with someone at DFAS (in the CRSC/CRDP unit of Retired Pay)who can provide a sensible answer. You can also request a copy of the CRSC audit by writing:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

The signed request can be faxed.
Fax
Retired Pay: 800-469-6559

Ron

AMeadows84

Registered Member
There are disability retirees who have approved CRSC but are not entitled to CRSC because their residual retired pay (left over) from the VA offset is more than the CRSC. The combination of residual retired pay + CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay. Has your husband continued to receive a portion of his retired pay and if so, what is the gross amount? His gross retired pay was probably high three average base pay x 75% = gross retired pay.

The amount of gross retired pay should be reduced by the VA offset of $3000+.

Also, if your husband did not waive retired pay in the amount of VA compensation for the retroactive period there would be no entitlement since CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. No waiver = no CRSC.

Your husband should insist upon speaking with someone at DFAS (in the CRSC/CRDP unit of Retired Pay)who can provide a sensible answer. You can also request a copy of the CRSC audit by writing:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

The signed request can be faxed.
Fax
Retired Pay: 800-469-6559

Ron

Hi - he goes $3300 or so from the VA and gets $1600 or so from CRSC - he's already received two payments, so we do know that he is entitled to it and will receive compensation for it. He gets nothing from the AF because he is rated at 100% VA. My question is in regard to the CRSC backpay and why an audit would be rejected or if anyone had any experience with this.

Thank you.

Amber

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi - he goes $3300 or so from the VA and gets $1600 or so from CRSC - he's already received two payments, so we do know that he is entitled to it and will receive compensation for it. He gets nothing from the AF because he is rated at 100% VA. My question is in regard to the CRSC backpay and why an audit would be rejected or if anyone had any experience with this.
I understand your question pertains to the payment of CRSC for a retroactive period. I asked the question about residual residual pay as that could have been a reason for non-payment of CRSC for the retro period.

I have seen hundreds of CRSC questions and never saw an “audit rejected” situation previously. I have seen several cases of incorrect computations by DFAS and I was the recipient of two of them.

Recommendations:
—Request to speak to a representative in the CRDP/CRSC unit.
—Request a copy of the CRSC audit (perhaps it has been corrected). A narrative explanation of the computation could also be requested.

Good luck,
Ron

JA1979

Registered Member
Any help and info CRSC.

I medically retired at 16 years 9 months and 3 days; 70% PDRL (PTSD Combat Related) ARMY.

100% VA (PTSD Combat Related)

Dependents: 3

I submitted CRSC packet earlier this month. I was told by the Lawyers through the IDES process that I would automatically qualify and be approved for CRSC since I elected VA pay instead of retirement pay. Is this right? Any information will be much appreciated. Thank you.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Any help and info CRSC.

I medically retired at 16 years 9 months and 3 days; 70% PDRL (PTSD Combat Related) ARMY.

100% VA (PTSD Combat Related)

I submitted CRSC packet earlier this month. I was told by the Lawyers through the IDES process that I would automatically qualify and be approved for CRSC since I elected VA pay instead of retirement pay. Is this right? Any information will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Precise info is needed to offer a computation.

See the following for info needed. I would be happy to provide an estimate.

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD (this is absolutely necessary)

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron

JA1979

Registered Member
Precise info is needed to offer a computation.

See the following for info needed. I would be happy to provide an estimate.

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD (this is absolutely necessary)

Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron
Here is breakdown.

14 years 3 months 11 days (Active Duty)

2 years 6 months (N’Guard time (Good Years)

High 36: $1,636 (estimate)

Medically retired 70% Permanent (Combat Related (PTSD) Army

100% VA Disability rating
70% PTSD Combat Related
50% Migranes
50% Sleep apexes
10% Knee Surgery
10% tinnitus
10% hypertension

Not recieving Military Retired Pay, elected to revive BA Disability Pay.

What would be amount of CRSC Payment.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Here is breakdown.

14 years 3 months 11 days (Active Duty)

2 years 6 months (N’Guard time (Good Years)

High 36: $1,636 (estimate)

Medically retired 70% Permanent (Combat Related (PTSD) Army

100% VA Disability rating
70% PTSD Combat Related
50% Migranes
50% Sleep apexes
10% Knee Surgery
10% tinnitus
10% hypertension
Not recieving Military Retired Pay, elected to revive BA Disability Pay.
What would be amount of CRSC Payment.
Hello,

The high three you cited would be for an E1; I doubt that applies to you.

I requested:

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36.
***YOUR INFO SHOWs THE RATE FOR AN E1

***Ok

*** I will use 14 yrs 3 months unless you can cite active duty equivalent instead (points /360 + 14 yr 3 mo)

***some info missing (categories of dependents and ages of children)

***Ok

I know this is confusing, but as I mentioned earlier, every factor requested is necessary. If you follow the itemized list, all the info will be captured.

Regards,
Ron

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
JA1979,

The following is the best I can do with the incomplete information provided:

1. High three average is unknown; ~$3841 is the rate for an E6 over 14 years using the 2018 pay charts. This is an imprecise guess at your high three.
  2. $3841 x 70% DoD = ~ $2688 retired pay
  3. VA at 100% = >$3000 results in all retired pay waived
  4. 14.25 years AD x 2.5% = 35.63% multiplier
  5. $3841 x 35.63% = ~$1368.55 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay.
  6. 70% CRSC approval, spouse + 2 children under 18 (guess) = ~$1668
  7. Item 5 is less than item 6 = ~$1368.55 CRSC
In the scenario presented above, you would receive the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay as CRSC = ~$1368.55

Good luck,
Ron

JA1979

Registered Member
Just recieved CRSC Review and Processing Letter. Letter states please allow up to 12 months to process, does it really take 12 months to review and process? Does it matter if the disability filed for is Combat Related or not? Or is the timeframe a normal process for CRSC? Would it make a difference if my Disability is Combat Related both from Army and VA? Is there a way to check the status online instead of calling?

ShadowStalker

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just recieved CRSC Review and Processing Letter. Letter states please allow up to 12 months to process, does it really take 12 months to review and process? Does it matter if the disability filed for is Combat Related or not? Or is the timeframe a normal process for CRSC? Would it make a difference if my Disability is Combat Related both from Army and VA? Is there a way to check the status online instead of calling?

Attachments

ShadowStalker

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received the same letter that stated the process would take 12 months. I was surprised 3 months later I received a letter telling me it was finished. Mine was all combat related. I had my CIB and documentations. I hope your whole process takes 3 months too.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Shadowstalker gave you his recent timeline.

If the CRSC application was sent to the Army, you can check the following:

HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)
---

Info will appear only after the decision is made. Most of the “processing time” for a CRSC application is actually “in a queue time” (i.e., in a figurative stack of work to be done). Calling about status of application: If one calls the CRSC board 200 times (example) during a ten month processing cycle, they will be told 200 times that their application is “being processed,” per anecdotal evidence.
That is the standard answer.

Ron

Paul_Music

Registered Member
Unfortunately that’s about the time frame. I submitted mine in September 2017 and it was a 10 month wait. 4 months later it went to 12 months. It was just about 12 months to the day when mine was approved. Good luck!!!

JA1979

Registered Member
Thanks for the information. I guess I will hurry up and wait. I will probably check in 4 months or so. Hopefully my claim will go smooth since my claim is also Combat Related for the same Disability (PTSD) but with no CAB/Purple Heart but both were rated and determined by Army (DOD) and VA. So hopefully it will be same timeframe as yours.

VET6201

Registered Member
Thanks for the information. I guess I will hurry up and wait. I will probably check in 4 months or so. Hopefully my claim will go smooth since my claim is also Combat Related for the same Disability (PTSD) but with no CAB/Purple Heart but both were rated and determined by Army (DOD) and VA. So hopefully it will be same timeframe as yours.
Mine was processed in roughly one month.
Submitted NOV 7th 2018
Approved DEC 12th 2018
First PAY 28 DEC 2018

Still waiting on RETRO

JA1979

Registered Member
Update on CRSC Packet:

I recieved a letter from CRSC stating that I do not meet the requirements due to not having a Elect to waive Military retirement for VA Compensation, I am pretty sure I elected that option during the IDES MEB/PEB process. I assume that DFAS would be notified of this since I already been receiving Compensation pay. Does the whole IDES process not communicate with DFAS? Has anyone else recieved this letter from CRSC? It says I need the waiver in order for CRSC to move forward with my packet. Any information will be appreciated on how or POC on this matter to obtain copy of said Waiver.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
JA1979,

General.

This problem used to be common, but in recent years it does not appear as often.

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. No waiver; no CRSC.

As a retiree, you would not have received VA compensation without the waiver of retired pay in order to receive the VA compensation.

One way to fix the problem is to submit the following to the VA:
ELECTION OF COMPENSATION IN LIEU OF RETIRED PAY OR WAIVER OF RETIRED PAY TO SECURE COMPENSATION FROM DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS (38 U.S.C. 5304(a)-5305)
VA FORM JUN 2015 21-651

The form can be found at this LINK. <-------

Recommend the assistance of a VSO.

Good luck,

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">