Commanders narsum, help me or hurt me?

Mcat10

PEB Forum Regular Member
He had written his letter at the beginning of the process. I was on a waiver but it was the generic waiver simply saying I was unable to deploy. This is what he used in his narrative. "Member is able to perform all in garrison duties with the exception of deployment." My profile has changed since then. My Dr. even put on the new profile that he didn't want me to arm up (I'm an SF troop), no strenuous activity causing me to become short of breath and no PT. When I asked him about changing his letter to reflect it, he flipped out and said he had tried helping me out by writing the letter and now I was saying it wasn't good enough. ????Well, last week I had my last appt with my Dr and PEBLO before they submitted the paperwork and they noticed his letter had gone over the 90 day mark, so he had to re-write it and add the additional findings. He flipped out again and thought I had put them up to it?? He only changed the date and sent it in like that. Sigh. So, my Dr. narrative says it impacts my duties, my superintendent wrote a letter and said the same, it effects my duties and career progression and so did another person I work with. My question is, is this going to affect the outcome? All 3 of the other people say it seriously impedes my progression and duties except for his.

i would hope not:confused:. i would imagine a "reasonable" board member would look @ the package as a whole and make their baisis off of the med. documentation, primarily. plus when they look @ both of his letters they will clearly see that they r the same.
what stage r u @ right now? IPEB or FPEB? because if u r going 2 the formal i would imagine that this is something that your leagal rep. could argue.
that's just my 2 cents and that's what i would explain 2 my representation. i'm only in the beginning stages of the DES w/the ANG. just finally got my narrative corrected. that's a whole-nother story:mad:.
stay strong and i'm sure you'll get the answers that u need from this site.
good luck and keep us updated.

Well, the PEBLO didn't submit a copy of the first letter, just the updated one. I do, however have a copy of the first one the commander gave me, just in case I have to break it out and use it. I'm currently in the IPEB phase right now. Daily nebulizer, Combivent and Xopenex inhaler, 500/50 Advair, prednisone 5 times in a year, FEV of 57% and I have a CPAP that I was issued. All of this and he says I have no problem fulfilling SFS duties. ?? Weird!
i would hope not:confused:. i would imagine a "reasonable" board member would look @ the package as a whole and make their baisis off of the med. documentation, primarily. plus when they look @ both of his letters they will clearly see that they r the same.
what stage r u @ right now? IPEB or FPEB? because if u r going 2 the formal i would imagine that this is something that your leagal rep. could argue.
that's just my 2 cents and that's what i would explain 2 my representation. i'm only in the beginning stages of the DES w/the ANG. just finally got my narrative corrected. that's a whole-nother story:mad:.
stay strong and i'm sure you'll get the answers that u need from this site.
good luck and keep us updated.

security force, HUA:D. i feel your pain, bro. like i said before i'm going through mine in the air nat. guard. i can't wait 2 bdone w/all this. i was active duty af sf and i've been in the guard 4 about 6yrs. (CATM). they really mess up my stuff. i have a letter from my "supervisor"/friend, my wife and my military and civ. PCM. i have'nt seen any documentation from my commander as of yet. can't wait 2 see that debocile:D.
i was just reading another thread here that reminded me of your post. make sure that in all youe med. docs. that u have a list of perscriptions that u have and they history from the pharmacy that u r actually using them. i'm on so many meds. right now that i need another file for them alone: neurontin, soma, vicodin, celebrex, ambian, cymbalta, lydoderm patch and uroxatol. i think that's it, but i'm sure i'm leaving something out:).
this place is a god-send for people like us. if there is anything that i can help u w/along the way here feel free 2 get a hold of me. ([email protected]) i'm on con. leave while my MEB goes through, so i'm on here ALL day and night. everyone here is in the same boat as us and are VERY helpfull. so ask away and i'm sure someone will get back 2 u ASAP

oh, i forgot i'm assuming u have some kind of resp. thing going on. maybe asthma??? Jason has a great post right now on it just go 2 the new posts link up top. hope that helps, otherwise just go 2 the conditions section.

r u gonna go 2 the formal if it comes back w/a unfit rating and %?

have you started working w/the va yet through the DAV, VFW, etc.? i went to the VFW first, then my rep. left so i went to the DAV. this way you don't have 2 go through all that stuff when and if u get out. i would HIGHLY suggest. i got hurt in sept 2006 and knew w/what happened, i would eventually be boarded, so i went right after that. low and behold in sept 2007 (1yr later) i was told i was going to be boarded, by the same med. CMSgt that i origionally ask when i first got hurt:
"is this something that i could be boarded 4?" he said "OH DEFFINATELY NOT!" i told him that i was reading their afi (123) and i was concerned about it. he was deff. thrown off and jumped out of his seat 2 grab the reg.:). then he said not 2 worry. i've been around 2 long for that bs and have seen many people get MEB'd for back injuries.

Yep, asthma is the verdict. The worst part it, they have no idea whats triggering it. I have allergies, they did the skin test, eczema, but there isnt a one specific thing thats triggering it. I can be sitting here in the control center and I just start weezing. I dont know where to go for the VA stuff. Do I go through them to get put into the DTAP class also? I want to get this done, so that when it comes back and I'm hopefully getting out, I can be closer to getting outta here!You guys are great!

Go to the MEB office or whatever office handles your MEB/IPEB paperwork at the MTF and have them schedule you for DTAP. I'd have your command schedule you for TAPs immediately, and then see about getting DTAP after that. A lot of it will be the same thing twice, but it's worth repeating.

I'd call your local VSO (DAV, American Legion, pick your poison) and ask to make an appointment to come in and show them your medical stuff and see what they have to offer as a second opinion. DTAP will have VA reps who will help you with your claims, but I imagine the classes are large and they won't have time to give you the attention it deserves.

Either way, get into TAP or DTAP as quickly as you can. Your MTF can get you into DTAP, and push your command to get you into TAP class. Take lots of notes and don't throw away the guide book they give you. It's really useful information, especially if you plan on going after a job right afterward. If you plan on going back to school/getting an "odd" job, then there's still good information worth sitting through.

And it's a week or two off regular work. :)

SF MSgt. Usually if you can't deploy you are most likely to be seperated. These days in this career field it's about being able to deploy. If you can't deploy then the odds are not in your favor. I'm being boarded for a hip replacement with 24 years of service. My package have been gone for 5 weeks and I am as good as retired. Good luck I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Thank you MSgt!
I pretty much cant do anything, not just deploy. The Dr. even took my weapon away because he didnt want me to respond. I fought to get it back and I've been sitting in CSC ever since. No where for me to progress from there. I'm hoping to get out and soon.
I wish you the best, BoilerMike!