CRSC & CRDP Estimates [indicate which applies]

cwmsr1979

Registered Member
Hi @RonG, was wondering if you could help me calculate the following information:

1. High 3 average is $5150.00
2. 90% DoD
3. 20 yrs 4 months, all active duty
4. VA rating 100%, 3710.68 with wife, kids (college student, high schooler, baby)

I am being medically retired and have permanent disability retirement orders.

Thank you in advance.

Yes...I just saw you post. It will take only a few minutes. Ron

Hi @RonG, was wondering if you could help me calculate the following information:

1. High 3 average is $5150.00
2. 90% DoD
3. 20 yrs 4 months, all active duty
4. VA rating 100%, 3710.68 with wife, kids (college student, high schooler, baby)
I am being medically retired and have permanent disability retirement orders.
Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Here is the CRDP estimate.

a. 5150 x 0.75 = 3862.50 DoD disability retired pay
b. 3862.50 - 3710.68 = 151.82 residual retired pay
c, 20.33 AD years x 0.025 = 50.8% longevity multiplier
d. 5150 x 0.508 = 2616.20 longevity portion of retired pay
e. 2616.20 - 151.82 = 2464.38
Before I go further, please note CRDP is a restoration of retired pay; therefore it is retired pay also.
f. DFAS should pay you:
--residual retired pay 151.82
--CRDP 2464.38
TOTAL = 2616.20

The presentation on your DFAS RAS will likely NOT show all the above, but my computation is the mechanics of the result. In the case of a regular retiree (I have received CRDP instead of CRSC during certain periods), the residual retired pay and the CRDP are combined in the gross on page one of the DFAS RAS.

Thank you for including all the info necessary to make a determination. Notwithstanding the numerous posting of what is required for an estimate, many requests are missing info.

Ron

Thank you for the quick response. I did look at all the other computations, just wanted to make sure my math was pointed in the right direction. Have a great day!

Hi Ron, I hope you can help me determine the amounts I might receive. I have read through many of the Q&As and the different scenarios. I understand most of it but am not sure about what happens between now and non-regular retirement age. Still, though I am not sure about a few things cause I didn't find the right example that matches up. I tried to use the above as an example but stopped. I have spoken with OSC and PEBLO and others and I keep hearing things a little different.

I just received the MEB results and will sign accepting the 80% although I know its 75 for pay.

Information necessary for CRSC estimate:
$5439 —High three average base pay
80 — DoD disability percentage (PDRL)
17.7 — Active duty equivalent years (6400 points)
100% VA ; $3,279; P&T; Spouse
UNK CSRC ( MEB identified CRSC disability but told to contact someone at the AW2 office to apply)
apx 6400 points, 20 Year letter, 31 years of service, 28 "good years" —
value of non-regular retirement 17.7 years = $2432 = 6400 points X .38
Age 51; eligible for non-regular retirement age 58
o

I hope I've identified enough information.

Thank you in advance. This is a great forum and has good posts.

Hi Ron, I hope you can help me determine the amounts I might receive. I have read through many of the Q&As and the different scenarios. I understand most of it but am not sure about what happens between now and non-regular retirement age. Still, though I am not sure about a few things cause I didn't find the right example that matches up. I tried to use the above as an example but stopped. I have spoken with OSC and PEBLO and others and I keep hearing things a little different.

I just received the MEB results and will sign accepting the 80% although I know its 75 for pay.

Information necessary for CRSC estimate:
$5439 —High three average base pay
80 — DoD disability percentage (PDRL)
17.7 — Active duty equivalent years (6400 points)
100% VA ; $3,279; P&T; Spouse
UNK CSRC ( MEB identified CRSC disability but told to contact someone at the AW2 office to apply)
apx 6400 points, 20 Year letter, 31 years of service, 28 "good years" —
value of non-regular retirement 17.7 years = $2432 = 6400 points X .38
Age 51; eligible for non-regular retirement age 58
o

I hope I've identified enough information.

Thank you in advance. This is a great forum and has good posts.
Hello,

Here is a CRSC estimate based on the information you provided.

1. 5439 high three x 0.75 = 4079.25 retired pay
2. 4079.25 - 3279 amount of VA comp = 800.25 residual retired pay
3. 17.7 active duty equivalent x 0.025 = 44.25% longevity multiplier
4. 5439 x 0.4425 = 2406.76 longevity portion of retired pay
5. Approved CRSC percentage = unknown
6. 2406.76 longevity amount minus 800.25 residual retired pay = 1606.51 maximum CRSC

Based on your incomplete data (approved CRSC percentage not given) you "might" receive from DFAS:
--800.25 residual retired pay
--1606.51 CRSC
TOTAL: 2406.76
You also will received your VA compensation.

The CRSC percentage approved by your service will affect the final computation. The combination of residual retired pay plus CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

You can switch to CRDP once you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement.

Collection of CRSC information LINK <---

Ron

Good Afternoon Ron. Can you please help me with my figures. I am a reservist who has been found unfit by the PEB and given a 50% DOD disability. I also have 80% VA disability. I have 36 years of service at 4000 points which converts to 11.1 years of active service. I'm an E8 and according to my math I multiply my base pay (10 years= $4538.00 X 50% = $2269.00. I'm 57 and will I have to wait until I'm 60 to recieve both VA and DOD Disabilty(CRDP) with NO offset or will i get it now at age 57. Any help wpould be much appreciated.

Good Afternoon Ron. Can you please help me with my figures. I am a reservist who has been found unfit by the PEB and given a 50% DOD disability. I also have 80% VA disability. I have 36 years of service at 4000 points which converts to 11.1 years of active service. I'm an E8 and according to my math I multiply my base pay (10 years= $4538.00 X 50% = $2269.00. I'm 57 and will I have to wait until I'm 60 to recieve both VA and DOD Disabilty(CRDP) with NO offset or will i get it now at age 57. Any help wpould be much appreciated.

Hello,

1. Your retired pay will be the higher of the DoD disability percentage (50%) or the longevity multiplier x average high three base pay. Note: If your Entry was before September 8, 1980 , final pay is used. The high three is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

2. Your longevity multiplier is 11.1 years AD x 0.025 = 27.75%; therefore, your retired multiplier will be the 50%.

3. As you mentioned, you will have to wait until you meet the age requirement and eligibility for reserve retirement to receive CRDP. Age 60 can be reduced by certain periods of service.

4. The retired pay discussed at item one will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation. Item 3 discusses CRDP entitlement.

5. The CRDP, when eligible, will be 27.75% of the average high three. It is limited to the longevity portion of retired pay; consequently, the retired pay in excess of the longevity remains offset.

6. I'll add the reduced age feature of reserve retirement in a few moments.

Ron

Reduced age for reserve retirement.

"The NDAA for 2008 reduces the retirement age for Reserve Component (RC) Soldiers from 60 to a lesser age, but not below age 50, for those who have served on Active Duty (AD) in an eligible status on or after 29 Jan 08. For qualifying service on or after 29 Jan 08, each day on that AD tour could count toward a reduction in retirement age. However, even though each day counts, days are credited in aggregates of 90 days only within any Fiscal Year. A day of duty shall be included in only one aggregate of 90 days. "

Reduced Age LINK <---

Ron

Thanks for the information..
Residual retired pay.

I should have included that if you have residual retired pay after the VA offset, you get to keep it.

On the other hand, once you begin to receive CRDP, the combination of residual retired pay plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

If you are interested in CRSC, see this LINK <---

Ron

Hello all! Current situation 30% retired out of the army, submitted my CSRC pack on Jan 16, 2020. Received notification on the 23rd that I had been approved for 60% just trying to wrap my head around these equations any help would be greatly appreciated.

H3 $2583
Army Medical retirement 30%
8.5 Years active
VA comp 90% with wife no kids
CRSC rating 60%
Permanent retirement with benefits and full VA waiver.

Hello all! Current situation 30% retired out of the army, submitted my CSRC pack on Jan 16, 2020. Received notification on the 23rd that I had been approved for 60% just trying to wrap my head around these equations any help would be greatly appreciated.

H3 $2583
Army Medical retirement 30%
8.5 Years active
VA comp 90% with wife no kids
CRSC rating 60%
Permanent retirement with benefits and full VA waiver.
Hello,

Estimate:

1. 2583 x 0.30 = 774.90 reduced to zero by amount of VA comp
2. CRSC @ 60% with spouse = $1,131.68
3. 8.5 years (8 yrs 6 mo) x 0.025 = 21.25%
4. 2583 x 0.2125 = 548.89 longevity portion of retired pay

Your CRSC will be 548.89, the longevity portion is the ceiling.

Ron

Thank you for the quick reply Ron, does this mean my actual amount received will be $548? or is that $548 plus the $1131.68? Thanks again and this is all very new and surprising!

Thank you for the quick reply Ron, does this mean my actual amount received will be $548? or is that $548 plus the $1131.68? Thanks again and this is all very new and surprising!
It means you will receive only $548.89 from DFAS.

You will also receive your VA compensation from the VA.

Ron

Until circa 2003, under the same circumstances, you would have received zero from DFAS.

Regards,
Ron

A bit of history:

Concurrent receipt refers to the simultaneous receipt of two types of federal monetary benefits: military retired pay and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. Prior to 2004, existing laws and regulations dictated that a military retiree could not receive two payments from federal agencies for the same purpose. As a result, military retirees with physical disabilities recognized by the VA would have their military retired pay offset or reduced dollarfor-dollar by the amount of their non-taxable VA compensation. Legislative activity on the issue of concurrent receipt began in the late 1980s and culminated in the provision for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) in the Bob Stump National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2003 (P.L. 107-314).

Since then, Congress has added Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) for those retirees with a disability rated at 50% or greater, extended concurrent receipt to additional eligible populations, and further refined and clarified the program. There are two common criteria that define eligibility for concurrent receipt: (1) all recipients must be military retirees and (2) they must also be eligible for VA disability compensation. An eligible retiree cannot receive both CRDP and CRSC. The retiree must choose whichever is most financially advantageous to him or her and may change the type of benefit to be received during an annual open season.

---
Ron

@RonG I just recently discovered that I was entitled to receive this pay. I hope this is enough information for a calculation, Thanks

a. DFAS RAS. $601 (MED boarded in 2013)
b. Approved DoD disability percentage: 30%
c. Years and months of active duty service: 3
d. VA compensation percentage, amount: 70% amount 1,426 Dependents: None
e. Approved CRSC percentage: Unknown (based off formula online 64.34%).

Hello Will86,

If your gross (prior to deductions) pay on your DFAS RAS is 601, the following would apply:

1. 601/0.30 = 2003.33 high three
2. You retired pay is reduced to zero due to the amount of your VA comp
3. Exactly 3 years (no months) active duty by 0.025 = 7.5% longevity multiplier
4. 2003.33 x 0.075 = 150.25 longevity portion of your retired pay

Based on the information you provided, your CRSC will be no more than 150.25 (you did not have an approved percentage, but in any case the CRSC will not be more than 150.25)

Ron