Retro Pay timeline.

T
JA1979,

General.

This problem used to be common, but in recent years it does not appear as often.

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. No waiver; no CRSC.

As a retiree, you would not have received VA compensation without the waiver of retired pay in order to receive the VA compensation.

One way to fix the problem is to submit the following to the VA:
ELECTION OF COMPENSATION IN LIEU OF RETIRED PAY OR WAIVER OF RETIRED PAY TO SECURE COMPENSATION FROM DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS (38 U.S.C. 5304(a)-5305)
VA FORM JUN 2015 21-651

The form can be found at this LINK. <-------

Recommend the assistance of a VSO.

Good luck,

Ron

Thanks for the information. I contacted VA about it and they told me that they do not send the letter to DFAS and that it was my responsibility to do it, so end result they filled out there portion and will be sending me the letter to fill in my information, then I have to mail it to DFAS which DFAS says it will take 30 days upon receipt of letter to show up in system. Another hurry up and wait thing.

Upon an initial award, the VA electronically advises the DFAS of the waiver being in place. In most instances, the VA never sends a paper copy of the election to DFAS, unless requested by DFAS.

Having seen a dozen or so similar cases, the VA always requested the election form be sent to them. These scenarios were when the retiree obviously made the wrong choice on the initial claim form.

If this was my case, I would send send copies to both the VA and the DFAS.

It appears you are on the right path.

Ron

Checked my mypay this morning under CRSC statement and its shows my backpay amount and when it will be deposited the date of the statement is today and the payment is scheduled for the 27th.

Checked my mypay this morning under CRSC statement and its shows my backpay amount and when it will be deposited the date of the statement is today and the payment is scheduled for the 27th.

So your first payment was Jan 1 and Retro the 27th?

Has anyone else received word of pending Retro? I called the DFAS and tier 2 just states its processing and will be completed soon

Mine is still processing back pay to August of 2016. Approved oct 9 received November and December pay still no retro.

I didn’t think they sent statements for back pay. Good to know. I received my first payment Dec 31 and am waiting for the retro pay back to nov 2017. I could really use that right about now.

Has CRSC ever denied and or find someone ineligible regardless if both the Army and VA have it Combat Related?

I was Medically Retired (PDRL)
Army 70% Combat Related PTSD
VA 100% (70% Combat Related), others service connected.

I just sent The Waiver Document back to CRSC due to letter stating I was ineligible due to not have Waiver or military pay in lieu of VA Compensation, IAW will Letter that was all I was missing, but the question that I keep asking myself, is it a sure thing because both Army and VA both find it Combat Related? Just want to know if anyone ever been found ineligible?

Has CRSC ever denied and or find someone ineligible regardless if both the Army and VA have it Combat Related?

I was Medically Retired (PDRL)
Army 70% Combat Related PTSD
VA 100% (70% Combat Related), others service connected.

I just sent The Waiver Document back to CRSC due to letter stating I was ineligible due to not have Waiver or military pay in lieu of VA Compensation, IAW will Letter that was all I was missing, but the question that I keep asking myself, is it a sure thing because both Army and VA both find it Combat Related? Just want to know if anyone ever been found ineligible?

1. CRSC cannot be be paid unless one agrees to waive retired pay in the amount of VA comp received. Approved CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. Additionally, the VA cannot pay VA comp to retirees without the waiver.

2. The service CRSC boards do NOT normally process waiver of retired pay elections/waivers. The VA usually processes the document and notifies the DFAS electronically. However, if a CRSC board told you to send the waiver form directly to them, I would follow their instructions, but this would be a first in my opinion. You might want to talk to a VSO.

3. The election to waive retired pay for VA comp is often done on the initial VA claim form.

4. ELECTION OF COMPENSATION IN LIEU OF RETIRED PAY OR WAIVER OF RETIRED PAY TO SECURE COMPENSATION FROM DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS (38 U.S.C. 5304(a)-5305) can be found at https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-651-ARE.pdf FORM

If this was my case, I would send a copy to both the DFAS and VA.

5. I never predict whether a CRSC application will be approved unless the retiree is a recipient of the Purple Heart. The PH is not a requirement for CRSC; however, a disability associated with the PH will be approved for CRSC in all cases ( in my opinion).

Ron

Last edited:
Well CRSC monthly statement posted...still no RETRO statement...here's to all of us hoping it just hits the bank o/a the 1st

Yea same here it has been 120 days since approval and the audit is pushing 90 days.

Retro is taking for ever! They gave me a approximately amount almost a month ago. All I been getting the pass few weeks is that they waiting to get it thru and is almost complete. This are my time frames.
APR 18 Sended my package.
NOV 18 Approval letter 100% CRSC
DEC 31 First payment
LES for FEB posted..
RETRO ?????

Retro is taking for ever! They gave me a approximately amount almost a month ago. All I been getting the pass few weeks is that they waiting to get it thru and is almost complete. This are my time frames.
APR 18 Sended my package.
NOV 18 Approval letter 100% CRSC
DEC 31 First payment
LES for FEB posted..
RETRO ?????
Possibly 1-3 months.

Ron